Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Neat little article I found,Kinda the way I feel about it.

Dave Hodge:

The new Broad Street Bullies

TSN.ca Staff

5/31/2004

If you haven't figured it out already, I'm here to tell you that the Calgary Flames are today's answer to the mid-1970s Philadelphia Flyers - the Broad Street Bullies - when it comes to including fighting as part of a game plan.

Those Flyers fought, as these Flames fight, with a purpose and a great sense of timing.

Look no further than Jarome Iginla and his fight with Vinny Lecavalier - it was pure strategy on Calgary's part.

Vinny was a dominating force in Game 2, and Jarome was going to make sure it wasn't that way in Game 3. Notice it wasn't Chris Simon or Krysztof Oliwa who drew that assignment, because Lecavalier would surely have skated away from an obvious trap, but how could he not respond to Iginla.

One star was in the other's face - neither side had an advantage if both went off for five minutes, although the Lightning felt the edge was theirs when Vinny fought well.

Coach John Tortorella clapped and cheered. Little did he know he was applauding the last bit of positive energy he would see from his star centre, and of course, Iginla went on to have another big game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jarome tries it again with Vinny. Whatever the result, I'm guessing Tortorella won't be clapping this time.

Like it or not, the Flames are a team that motivates itself and intimidates the opposition by dropping the gloves when it matters or when it doesn't seem to matter, but it always does to them.

It's part of what they are and how they win.

They weren't listening when somebody said there's no fighting in the playoffs.

Edited by keratosis

you guys should have been at the dome

ohh baby

and then on 17th for the titties

heeeeeeeeelllllll yea!! flames going to win on home ice on sat!

you guys should have been at the dome

ohh baby

heeeeeeeeelllllll yea!! flames going to win on home ice on sat!

Saturday night man, 17th ave will never be the same :D

What bar will you be at?

Want to split the price of an airbrush kit? ;)

I just got back from 17th. I've had half a case of beer and a bottle of rye, got pulled over twice on the way home (not driving, I'm a passenger) and now I'm writing documentation for my best friends' final project. Nothing beats risking your degree for a night of drinking!

(Best of all, I look sober because safari spell checks my posts even though I can't see straight enough to read what I write.)

What bar will you be at?

Want to split the price of an airbrush kit? ;)

I just got back from 17th. I've had half a case of beer and a bottle of rye, got pulled over twice on the way home (not driving, I'm a passenger) and now I'm writing documentation for my best friends' final project. Nothing beats risking your degree for a night of drinking!

(Best of all, I look sober because safari spell checks my posts even though I can't see straight enough to read what I write.)

I'm not to sure yet, but all i know is tomorrow night i'm getting loaded

man, i wanna go to 17th street, sounds like fun :)

great game, this is a great series. the win/lose streak is still going for TB isn't it?

hell ya man were gona light canada up on saturday!!!

on another note this is how much people enjoy hockey in canada

Flames-Car.jpg the car is brandnew and signed by alot of people :p , hell ya the victory will be ours :woot:

Edited by RenaFuse

hell ya man were gona light canada up on saturday!!!

on another note this is how much people enjoy hockey in canada

http://www.compustorm.com/Flames-Car.jpg the car is brandnew and signed by alot of people :p , hell ya the victory will be ours :woot:

man thats a sweet mini, i was like :o when you sent it to me last night

i was in tampa the day before game 1 - nothing like this going on.. just a few people camping out.. and then some stores had "Go Bolts" or "Stanley needs a Tan" signs in their windows.. i really hope Calgary wins..

pic taken outside St. Pete Times Forum about 30 hours before game 1

post-91-1086457560.jpg

Can someone explain why Tampa have this weird way of presenting their home team ? Sounds like Micheal Buffer... but does not fit hockey nor the Team's name at all.

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightning ! And then Brooke Hogan or whatever... what the hell.

OOOOook Thanks....its on 1:00am here so ill try stay up....i wanted TB to win only cos i been there but am mainly neutral