Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Dan Boyle's house went down in flames during their loss last night. I would never wish this on anyone, and am glad that no one was hurt, of course, but you gotta admit that it's pretty funny. Is it an omen, one would have to believe it is.

:shifty: :laugh: :(

From sportsnetnews forum

More on the story here

Awesome game. I do think that Tampa is going to come really strong in the next game, so the Flames should get ready for that. If they can win the next one, and then the first one home, this series is over :p But obviously this is just wishful thinking on my part. This will probably go to a Game 6 or 7.

holy crap, my prediction couldn't have been any more wrong :p....lol

calgary is fast! and they got the bounces. i'm guessing tb was worn out from that game 7, but i figured they would have been sharpen than the flames.

and so much for iginla not getting scoring chances, he was getting them shorthanded. this might be another one of those home team loses series :p

For the guy saying the flames opponents not playing to their potential, the flyers did not play to their potential and no one seems to care

i completely agree. the flyers are much better than they played in the eastern finals. they didnt respect tampa bay and are regretting it now. I think the lightning have a very unique style of play that most teams are having problems adjusting to. I think they were tired and that is the reason for the loss in game one. I am a firm believer the lightning can wrap up the series in 6 games.

i'm a philly fan, i thought we played pretty good. yeah, we were missing some scoring from a few key players, but we had different people step up. goaltending wasn't a letdown like i thought it was gonna be too.

**** anyone watching the game? Tampa scored, but im at work, i have to wait for a break to watch.

If anyoen saw was it a fluke?

No Fluke but this is the worse called game I've ever seen. So one-sided. Tampa Bay is getting the shaft on calls. I saw two tripping calls and various holding calls to tampa players and not not one of those was called but the Flames got powerplays for just jack calls that would never be called in the regular season. The only right call against tampa bay was the extra man on the ice call. But really this was a joke so far. This seems so bad the the NHL considering the flyers non call game and everything else. Now just a little while ago (a few days) the Lightning big wigs had a closed dore meeting with the NHL about calls and just like magic we have the worst calls ever called against Tampa. The Flames may win this game because of those calls and if I was a canadian fan I would be ashamed to win this way. Hopefully this will change. I don't care what they call but call it on both teams for cryin out load.

This is why I don't like the NHL and why I hope they do have a strike because this is what it has become. The refs can't ever be wrong type of attitude. That is why those calls were made to prove a point and its not right. I may be a Tampa Fan but I would feel the same way if this was another team because I would be ashamed of my team winning this way.

Why should Canadian fans be ashamed because the Refs are making bad calls? They are from the US anyway...Didn't Tampa complain about the calls in the first game regarding hooking? Well now the refs are cracking down on it...

The first game was that no hooking was called when they should be. Now the problem is that what the refs are calling now are very one sided. The tripping, hooking and holding calls should be call period but so far this game they are being called only on Tampa and not on both Tampa and the Flames. If those calls were called on both teams I wouldn't care but the calls in the first period weren't even calls. Right now everything is evening up as far as the tripping, hooking and holding that haven't been called are now starting to be called. Did you see the St. Louis play when he was hit in the head with the flames guys stick into the goal net that wasn't called. Did you see the three holding and tripping calls which weren't called that were so clear as day. There might have been others but I'm just counting the ones that were clear as day. If you can't see those non calls than you aren't a fan at all because those frickin announcers saw those calls and said they were crap calls just like I did.

The fact is this is a disgrace to the NHL as a leage and its sad. No wonder they can't get TV viewers who wants to watch a one sided game.

Why should Canadian fans be ashamed because the Refs are making bad calls? They are from the US anyway...Didn't Tampa complain about the calls in the first game regarding hooking? Well now the refs are cracking down on it...

Bad calls are made no matter where the ref is from. :rolleyes:

i'm a philly fan, i thought we played pretty good. yeah, we were missing some scoring from a few key players, but we had different people step up. goaltending wasn't a letdown like i thought it was gonna be too.

dude you cannot downsize what they accomplished.

they made tampa work to get there. and i hope tampa gets owned for it. go flames. :devil:

I meant they should be ashamed about their team since the Flames is a Canadian team and hockey is Canada's sport. Now I'm not talking about bad calls because that happens just because its a hard game to call but these calls that weren't called were so clear that no ref should ever miss that type of call period. Now at least we earned our goals whereas quite a bit of the flames goals last game weren't net goals shot by the player that got the goal. They went through traffic and hit off other players stick and so forth which is in no way saying they didn't deserve to win that game but they scored most of their goals the last game by luck of where the puck went, landed and hit off of. Now hockey is won by those type of plays but to say that the flames outplayed us the last game is crazy because any team can win a game on luck of the puck just hitting off a player or stick and going in. But Tampa proved that they were the better team. If you just forget about ball calls even though they were bad calls but if you just put that aside look at how many powerplays the Flames had that they didn't get. This game had the most powerplay minutes in the history of the Stanley Cup Playoffs at 90+ minutes with most being in favor of the Flames. When you have that advantage and you don't score while Tampa scored 4 goals without luck but good play. None of our goals was luck. They were cleaning up a saved shot which isn't luck because the no team should allow a cleanup shot. Now our cleanup shots didn't go in off of another player by luck. The person that scored all 4 of our goals was the same person that shot at and into an empty net past the goalie. That you can't deny.

Now this will be a very good series but at least I can say and backup that Tampa's win was much more earned than the Flames win. You tell me what other advantage did the Flames have that they didn't have.

Now at least we earned our goals whereas quite a bit of the flames goals last game weren't net goals shot by the player that got the goal. They went through traffic and hit off other players stick and so forth which is in no way saying they didn't deserve to win that game but they scored most of their goals the last game by luck of where the puck went, landed and hit off of.

What are you talking about, moron? There was 1, count em' ONE goal that was a deflection.

Maybe you didn't see the same game I did? I'm so confused... confused that anyone could be so blind.

I meant they should be ashamed about their team since the Flames is a Canadian team and hockey is Canada's sport. Now I'm not talking about bad calls because that happens just because its a hard game to call but these calls that weren't called were so clear that no ref should ever miss that type of call period. Now at least we earned our goals whereas quite a bit of the flames goals last game weren't net goals shot by the player that got the goal. They went through traffic and hit off other players stick and so forth which is in no way saying they didn't deserve to win that game but they scored most of their goals the last game by luck of where the puck went, landed and hit off of. Now hockey is won by those type of plays but to say that the flames outplayed us the last game is crazy because any team can win a game on luck of the puck just hitting off a player or stick and going in. But Tampa proved that they were the better team. If you just forget about ball calls even though they were bad calls but if you just put that aside look at how many powerplays the Flames had that they didn't get. This game had the most powerplay minutes in the history of the Stanley Cup Playoffs at 90+ minutes with most being in favor of the Flames. When you have that advantage and you don't score while Tampa scored 4 goals without luck but good play. None of our goals was luck. They were cleaning up a saved shot which isn't luck because the no team should allow a cleanup shot. Now our cleanup shots didn't go in off of another player by luck. The person that scored all 4 of our goals was the same person that shot at and into an empty net past the goalie. That you can't deny.

Now this will be a very good series but at least I can say and backup that Tampa's win was much more earned than the Flames win. You tell me what other advantage did the Flames have that they didn't have.

oh would you shut up, with every post you make it makes you sound more like an idiot, its just 1 game wooopeee you'll have bad calls all the time.

To say that we as canadians should be ashamed about our team is just retarted, we could have said that about TB last game, so please make everyone happy and just stfu.

Thnaks. John tortorella. You want more calls? You got'em. Too bad your powerplay unit is 1 for 9. (3 2-man-advantages(I believe), scored on 1)

are you joking?? have you played hockey? Most of the time, especially when their goalie is outstanding... the best strategy is to crowd the net and just fire it through traffic, you get good bounces, nice deflections and big rebounds... that is a strategy, not luck. I know when im standing infront of the net, even if the puck is comming no where near the blade (where you can redirect a shot), i still try to get part of my shaft on the puck and cover thegoalies face with the balde of my stick. To say its luck, then you can say ANY goal is luck...