Neowin's NHL 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

from TNS:

The Flames wouldn't let up. Defenceman Robyn Regehr knocked Ruslan Fedotenko out of the game with 5 1-2 minutes left with a crushing body check into the side boards. Fedotenko was later taken to hospital with an undetermined injury.

nothing else so far....

Fedotenko probable for Game 4 on Monday

Canadian Press

5/30/2004

CALGARY (CP) - Tampa Bay forward Ruslan Fedotenko, who had a bandage under his right eye Sunday, is a probable starter for Game 4 of the NHL's championship series Monday night.

"I had breakfast with him," said teammate Dave Andreychuk. "He seems fine to me."

Fedotenko was crushed into the side boards by Robyn Regehr late in Calgary's 3-0 Game 3 victory Saturday. Video shows Regehr grabbing Fedotenko by a shoulder in directing him into the boards but no penalty was assessed. Fedotenko cut his head on the top of the boards. He went to hospital for X-rays to make sure there was no structural damage.

Fedotenko skates on Tampa Bay's top attacking unit and has 10 playoff goals.

Coach John Tortorella declined to question the no-call on the hit.

"That stuff is playoff hockey, players trying to make plays, players trying to finish checks," Tortorella said after his team's optional skate Sunday. "We're not looking to pay back.

"We're looking to play better and looking to win a hockey game."

Flames coach Darryl Sutter defended Regehr.

"It was a clean hit by Robyn and, you know, he cut his head in the worst part he can - right on the dasher. So, you know, three inches one way or the other and he probably doesn't even feel the hit at all."

2 1/2 hrs. till game time WOOOHOOO! I've got the beer on ice and wings on the BBQ. :beer: :fun: (Y)

Man, I cant wait for the game! But its going to be crazy! Anyone think that tampa will finally lose back to back?

did anyone watch it on cbc?

you coudl hear some guy on the ice yelling 'dont even try it ference, ill **** you up'

it sounded a lot like Oliwa

but i seriously doubt he said "ference"

i was watching part of the game on ABC, then switched over to CBC.

good god i feel sorry for you americans, ABC's version was totally awful. you need a real announcer, and no one beats CBCs Bob Cole and Harry Neale

ESPN's Hockey Night Tonite (i think thats what its called) announcers are far better than CBC's. I remember watching the '03 playoffs in LA and when i came back to catch the rest of the finals on CBC, HNIC sounded like a bunch of geisers talking about an old game of shinney

I here Kabina and Fedotenko won't play tonight

MMMMMM chicken wings are goooood.

Edited by keratosis

Well Tampa is back in the series. I just didn't realize how much the air hurt Tampa Bay. They just could never keep their breath but they played very good. This game might have been different if the Flames didn't get that stupid penalty and I say it was stupid. How the fans could boo that call is beyond me because anyone could see that was just flat out dirty and the same way the last game as well but this game was worse. But both teams had plenty of chances to win and I was just going nuts in that last 10 seconds. I almost had a heart attact just like all last Buccaneers season. If I stay in Tampa any longer I'll die between those two teams. Well I'm getting ready for game 5 in Tampa on Thursday. Gooooooooooooooooo Lightning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the refereeing was BS that game

how can you call 2 penalties 1 minute into a game? that was the game right there. ridiculous. how many times were the flames players hauled down in the offensive zone with no penalty call.

kerry fraser is a retard

before the ref blew the whistle i thought the hit infront of the net and the one behind the play should have definately been called... i dunno who got hit near the penalty box, but he didnt even have the puck and the play was infront of Calgary's net

the flames did everything but get the puck in the net. the hit on lecav was very stupid. I missed all but the 3rd period (lack of sleep) so I dont know how the flames got the penatlies to start the game, but if they would play by the rules, then they wont be down 2 players. the next team that puts 2 good back to back games will win the cup.

The refs weren't BS this game. Tampa had so many penalties not called and even worse had calls that weren't even calls. The first two games the Flames had every advantage as far as penalties and now that things are finally being called evenly you all say it was BS calls while I got flamed for saying the same thing. The fact is that this game was the most fair called game so far in this series and lets just say that Tampa didn't have one game in which penalties favored them. As far as this goes Flames fans will say all the calls were BS if they lose but if they won they would all say what a great game the refs called.

Hey we may have won by 1 goal on a 5 on 3 powerplay but the penalty didn't give us the game because you still had over 2 periods to tie and win. Weren't the Flames the same team that had two wins with 3 or more goals. No more excuses boys and girls the fact is you had plenty of time to score goals and you didn't. Just like game 3 for most of the game it was no score and if we scored the first goal things might have been very different. We didn't score and the Flames did. This game we scored and the Flames didn't.

flames had TONS of chances. crazy game, can't believe they never scored. that was the record too for fastest goal to stand up in a playoff game or something...