NeoRequest

Question

Thank you to StOrM from circlehosting.net for hosting the NeoRequest? Screenshots.

Warning: 56k users, this page will take a long time to load, but please be paitent. They are worth the wait.;);)

Current BETA testers:

Wing

Trefaes

Mark03

Sesh

Trix

Timsweb

Anaron

The_Decryptor

Lycan

Lardiop

Furby

+matt74441

Smokiethebandit

[John]

StOrM

Sorry guys, after talking with Chorpeac, we only need "0" more BETA testers, then thawillb> be it. So say if you want to BETA test!

Hey guys, well me and Chorpeac have been working really hard to try and get NeoRequest? into the big stages. We think its coming together, but its taking a while, we still have problems but at the moment its not looking too bad. Chorpeac has been constantly working on the c(even while working! Terrible.)And I, have just been doing tons of graphics and trying to all get them to fit together nicely and get the to become Transparent! Nast:devil:vil: But now we have been able to get to work and we have managed to get it to the stage where it all works and it looks good. So below are the Screenshots of NeoRequest?.

56k warning, these images are large, so they may take a while to load, be warned.[/i]d.NeoRequest? Login PagePage

Artistsworkdesk.jpg

Download link for all of the Screenshots if you cannot wait.

Edited by JMann

I mean this post sincerely. What are the advantages over the existing system, given that a great many of the requests at the moment are ignored anyway?

I agree on something that has already been touched upon and, in fact, I would see it as the 'only' reason that I would use it as a designer, and that is a rating system. There is precious little incentive to create designs for a great many, and this is mirrored by the fact that a great many of the best names that I used to see in this area are no longer present and have gone onto other things where their efforts are more gracefully rewarded.

I'd also like to see a catalogue, so that Jonny-NoBrain could say, something like "Similar to Design #B4343", etc.

Excellent point there Sniper! The feedback/rating system would be an incentive (and reward) for the artists to continue to participate. I assume it would be only be fair also. Some joe schmoe may create something in like 2 minutes using paint, where another may put more time into it and it would warrant a better rating. It may encourage harder/better work to be produced. I like the thought. I'm going to see about how to put that in.

I guess the one big advantage is that this is much more organized, and not a cluttered 156 page thread. You can find things much easier, and at least know if someone is attempting it or thinking about it. It's not as scatter brained as the current method.

Thanks for the valued input SniperX.

I mean this post sincerely. What are the advantages over the existing system, given that a great many of the requests at the moment are ignored anyway?

I agree on something that has already been touched upon and, in fact, I would see it as the 'only' reason that I would use it as a designer, and that is a rating system. There is precious little incentive to create designs for a great many, and this is mirrored by the fact that a great many of the best names that I used to see in this area are no longer present and have gone onto other things where their efforts are more gracefully rewarded.

I'd also like to see a catalogue, so that Jonny-NoBrain could say, something like "Similar to Design #B4343", etc.

Those are some great ideas SniperX. :)

Thanks for the comment SniperX, pretty valid I must admit, although we always have our fall outs with each other! I think we should work on the Rating system, we will see what we can do. Phanto, I have PM'ed you back.

JMann

I have been thinking about this, but could be kinda hard to Intergrate. What the Requester could do though is in the Additional Comments say I am offering so much ? or $ through Paypal, or it can go through PM with Neowin or via other sorces MSN, or E-mail. As I think it might be hard to intergrate with the system, but I aint the programmer!

JMann

Ok Ok Ok.... :) I am serious about the rating system, but I will look into the paypal afterwards. It may be a post beta feature. It will be interesting to see what the beta testers have to say about this.

I have been thinking about this, but could be kinda hard to Intergrate. What the Requester could do though is in the Additional Comments say I am offering so much ? or $ through Paypal, or it can go through PM with Neowin or via other sorces MSN, or E-mail. As I think it might be hard to intergrate with the system, but I aint the programmer!

JMann

It wouldn't be that hard... cuz the guy sends u the money... and the guy who sends that money just puts his paypal name down on the form?

Donuts made the name NeoRequest! :D Nah, Donuts we are putting it in later, but I am away from home at the moment so I cannot doanything but please it will be on the BETA version, and Chorpeac has been informed about the Credit and he is putting it on later with some other details. OK? Also, maybe I was wrong about Paypal but we will look into it, but at the moment I think the payments should be made outside of NeoRequest and keep it between themselves, my opinion.

JMann

[sarcasm]Can't have been easy adding "Request" onto "Neo". No wonder he's so irate about not receiving the credit.[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Can't have been easy adding "Request" onto "Neo". No wonder he's so irate about not receiving the credit.[/sarcasm]

Well, didn't see you come up with this :rolleyes:

Wouldn't you like to get credit for something you made/come up with ? HUH?

:rolleyes:

Wouldn't you like to get credit for something you made/come up with ? HUH?

:rolleyes::

lol Sure. If it was worth it. Anyway, so long as yer happy...

lol....bickering....I miss it! :) I was unaware that Donuts came up with the name until Jmann told me, but credit will be rewarded where credit is deserved.

Just a little status update:

Authentication is complete

I am going to include an Artist name field in the search form

A rough feedback system should be operational for the beta.

Yawn. Sniper, give it a break with your digs.

Ever the authoritarian, without the authority, I see. Now do shush. :rolleyes:

Anyway, returning to normal transmission:

To the brains of the outfit: chorpeac

How are you going to combat the scenario of designers x, y, and z, deleting the completed designs from their servers? I, for example, do this regularly as I don't like clutter on my servers. Will requesters, for example, only have so many hours, days, weeks, etc to download their image?

You could, as you can imagine, I'm sure, end up with a lot of dead links making the entire system look unreliable, even though it isn't caused by the system. That's where the current system wins out; I can upload it in the Neowin forums and forget I ever did it.

I would imagine it a better solution to retain zipped versions of each design on your own server(s) for say three months (I can't see this being too much of a drain on the server, especially for the first year while it builds in reputation, etc. and then mail the requester just before that period to remind them that their design is about to be removed from the server?

I see quite a few difficult scenarios ahead, but hey, that's what makes coding fun... :)

Edited by SniperX

Sniper:

Currently there is no uploading capability on the server. It is totally a URL based solution. The artist workdesk as it is called, contains all the work that an artist has completed. From there, the artist can remove the link if it is no longer needed or active. Otherwise it will show up as a dead link in the area where the completed work is shown. :( If it were my own server, there would be no question, that the files could be stored. However, I am limited to a specific disk space and bandwidth that I pay for. So...currently to keep disk space and bandwidth in the green, it will remain URL based. As the initial launch approaches, there will be many features that would make the system better. I'm sure. The long term storage of the items would be nice as a repository. However, the system is not currently going to operate like Deviantart.

I think this system seems much more organized than the current solution, but that the graphics could only exists as long as the artists and requestors care for them too. The requestor can delete a request at any time, and an artist can delete a graphic or workset at any time. Everything has the possiblity to be short-lived, but it also has the potential to be long-lived.

Question about the rating system:

Should anyone be able to rate the graphics an artist produces, or just the person who created the request. Ebay doesn't allow everyone to rate a transaction. How should this operate? Should everyone be able to rate the artist? Or should just the original requestor?

My opinion on that is that it must be just the requestor. Pick just about any forum you like to see how things can go horribly wrong when you start allowing everyone to rate (up and down) other peoples work.

I see it as I've always seen it. There are only two opinions which matter on a design. The designer's and the recipient's. The rest are just noise.

So true, and plus we wouldn't want people fighting with each other and trying to hurt the other person's rating by voting badly for them. Plus it represents a transaction between the requestor and the artist(s). The requestor is the one who is ultimately going to be happy or not. Excellent.

So true, and plus we wouldn't want people fighting with each other and trying to hurt the other person's rating by voting badly for them. Plus it represents a transaction between the requestor and the artist(s). The requestor is the one who is ultimately going to be happy or not. Excellent.

Nice thought, I think Neobond is on about the thread for all the BETA testers, so should be done soon. :)

sweet. I was going to post a new version for you JMANN, but I was in the middle of the rating system...so I have held off....but I will post it as soon as this is stable...