NeoRequest Public Preview

Question

The Beta has been returning some good comments and suggestion and bugs, and many changes have been made that were recommended.

Jmann and I are pleased to annouce the public preview of the Neowin Graphic Request system. For those of you who are not familiar, the previous graphic request threads worked, but there are many things that the new system does for the process.

Requests will no longer get lost in all the jibber jabber that filled the current threads.

To start, login with your Neowin credentials.

NeoRequest allows someone who is looking for a graphic the chance to submit a request. The request must include certain information to be submitted. Once it is submitted an artist can accept to work on it. The requestor will know who is working on the request. The requestor, artist, or a normal person logging in can post comments/Questions on the request. Once an artist is finished, he/she will submit a URL to a graphic or a zip file containing the graphics.

The artist has the option to track their work and all work completed in the past in the artist workdesk. This is also where the artist submits their finish products for a request. An artist can also edit previously submitted URLs for any reason.

A basic search function is available for a quick search of historical requests.

We hope you enjoy the system, see the benefit of it, and continue to make your graphic requests through it.

Once again, this is a public preview, not a final product. It is almost a final product. The risk of data loss is possible. Also, changes can and are still being made, so please be patient. Access the system to become familiar with it, test it out, or make a live request!

Have fun, if you find errors, have a suggestion, or have a question about it, PM Jmann or chorpeac!

The address to access the system is NeoRequest

Still says "The username/password are incorrect. Please try again..." :cry::

Man Donuts....We'll get this straightened out. Just hang in there. Redmak has a temp user with a ? in it, and I asked him to test something today...so we'll keep trying.

OK, the connection problem should be taken care of. Host rep said they upped the number of simultaneous connections on the server. "The connection limit is around 65,000 simultaneous connections." now....WOW....

Let me know if you continue to see that "too many connections" error.

hahahaha yeah I don't think so either. I just know there are other websites on the server that neorequest is on, and I assume they need that many since the server is being shared. :)

Heres a new idea. Could there be a section were people request certain designers to do designs. Cuz otherwise there really is no point to the rating.

Heres a new idea. Could there be a section were people request certain designers to do designs. Cuz otherwise there really is no point to the rating.

Ok let's discuss this.

First off, there is not an official list of artists. People who have been involved in graphic requesting on Neowin have an idea who the artists are. But a nOOb doesn't really know. For this to be helpful, wouldn't a list of artists need to be available to pick from?

Also, from the artists perspective, the artists selected would not be required to participate. The artist would still have to accept the request. If this scheme were implemented, the artists would have an additional section that would show requests they have been asked to do.

Cuz otherwise there really is no point to the rating.

The rating system allows people to "grade" the work as it pertains to the request or to the requestors liking. So this makes perfect sense to have the rating.

sorry to let you know but it wont let me change the ddimensions of the thing

and it put the wrong ones for me. i said 500x100 but it put 500x500,,

The ratings are good as far as the actual graphics. But if there is nothing to be gained by having a high username rating, then why have a username rating. It doesnt gain anybody anything by knowing that joeschmo has a rating of 90 percent. I think the ratings should be eliminated then.

As far as the designer request: Would i really be that hard to create an official artist list. There woulndt need to be any requirments to sign up to be an artist. Once you've signe up you could fill requests and get asked to do a request. If this is done the user needs to have a rating so the requesters know who they are asking.

So far all the the "artist top 5 rating system" does is **** me off :angry:

I did hard work and people sometimes gave me good ratings and sometimes not so good.

Other people just did one (sometimes the simplest request) and got a 100 and were automaticly put at the top :no:

So sometimes good hard work doesn't get a good rating as I've seen with other request and only the simplest are filled

In conclusion I think the top 5 list should be removed

I think that if the requester specifies a size, they should only be able to rate those images that are of that size. Im guessing it would be pretty comlicated to read the size of an image then compare it withe the requested size. This wouldnt prevent people from posting larger or smaller sized images. I think it would reward the people that follow the directions.

VegaOne-

I think thats a great idea, infact i suggested in the last thread. Its really frustrating to make a design, were they specify a small logo and you try and cram a bunch of information onto a small graphic. Then somebody else makes a gigantic image and gets rated higher because the text is readable on there mammoth graphic.

sorry to let you know but it wont let me change the ddimensions of the thing

and it put the wrong ones for me. i said 500x100 but it put 500x500,,

Ok this is a bug, I will fix this and post an update sometime today...I'll fix the data in the database for your request when I get home. You will be able to edit it tomorrow. Or you could delete it and recreate it for now.

The ratings are good as far as the actual graphics. But if there is nothing to be gained by having a high username rating, then why have a username rating. It doesnt gain anybody anything by knowing that joeschmo has a rating of 90 percent. I think the ratings should be eliminated then.

As far as the ratings go...I see your concern. If user A comes in and submits a graphic, and gets a 5, he is going to be at the top, and the vets who have done more work will be no where around there.

So that is a problem. What about listing the Top 5 Artists by Submissions? Meaning that the artists that submit the most work will be listed in this list? The rating system will remain, but it won't be shown until you see the artists name in the completed work.

Would that be better?

I think that if the requester specifies a size, they should only be able to rate those images that are of that size. Im guessing it would be pretty comlicated to read the size of an image then compare it withe the requested size. This wouldnt prevent people from posting larger or smaller sized images. I think it would reward the people that follow the directions.

Sorry, but I won't be able to do this one...This is what the comments section is for. An artist can propose a change to the request, and the requestor can agree or disagree. Sometimes it just so happens that another artist may do something differently...however not following the requested parameters given by the request, and it turns out to be good. You guys are the artists! If it doesn't make sense or seem to work, then you as the artist need to voice your opinion and expertise and email or post a comment and say, "dude, this request is bogus, it isn't going to work, because blah blah, how about doing it like this...." And if you can't do it or don't like the request or comments....the click the "give up" link in the artist workdesk, and move on to something else. If no one completes the request, then the requestor will re-evaluate it and change it.

As far as the designer request: Would i really be that hard to create an official artist list. There woulndt need to be any requirments to sign up to be an artist. Once you've signe up you could fill requests and get asked to do a request. If this is done the user needs to have a rating so the requesters know who they are asking.

OK I will create an artist list.

What I will do is create an options form. You can specify an email address there, you can select the number of rows to display in the lists, and you can set your role (Normal User or Artists).

If you select an artist, you will be included in a list requestors can use to select artists for his/her request. Anyone is still allowed to work on a request, but when you have been asked to work on a request, there will be another dropdown item in the artists workdesk that will show requests that you have been asked to work on. From there the artist can view the request and accept it like normal.

I am allowing you to specify an email address because I am not going to be able to pull it from Neowin. Redmak didn't want to give up the email address since he thought it was private.

Allowing you to select the number of results shown in the grids will just allow you to see more items.

Does this sound ok?

As far as the ratings go...I see your concern. If user A comes in and submits a graphic, and gets a 5, he is going to be at the top, and the vets who have done more work will be no where around there.

So that is a problem. What about listing the Top 5 Artists by Submissions? Meaning that the artists that submit the most work will be listed in this list? The rating system will remain, but it won't be shown until you see the artists name in the completed work.

Would that be better?

That would be a lot better (Y)

sorry if this question was already answered, i don't have the time to read the whole thread.

Would it be possible to get some kind of email confirmation for neorequest? similar to what neowin has, so that you know when someone has posted a graphic, comment or rating to your request? I just thought this would be easier so the requestor doesn't have to check back evey 10 minutes to see if it's been done.

If this is already in place, sorry, i haven't made a request since neorequest opened.

(got my sig and avatar)

| |

VV

thanks!

sorry if this question was already answered, i don't have the time to read the whole thread.

Would it be possible to get some kind of email confirmation for neorequest? similar to what neowin has, so that you know when someone has posted a graphic, comment or rating to your request? I just thought this would be easier so the requestor doesn't have to check back evey 10 minutes to see if it's been done.

If this is already in place, sorry, i haven't made a request since neorequest opened.

(got my sig and avatar)

| |

VV

thanks!

I think that might have been posted before. I will check and see if my host supports mail. If so, then yes, that would be a great feature, and it will make it into the next build. I will release a new build this weekend.

I got a better idea. How about a point system. They get a 5, it adds on to their score. Kinda like a post count ya know. The people with the highest score get the top of the list.

I got a better idea. How about a point system. They get a 5, it adds on to their score. Kinda like a post count ya know. The people with the highest score get the top of the list.

Hey, that's an idea also....

Maybe we could have both.

The top 5 Artists by Submissions

The top 5 Artists by Score

(Y) / (N) ?

Hey,

On the request thing, its the same with them all, they are all the same for the width as on the height, I want to do someone's but im not sure what size it is actually ment to say,

Thanks, Tim

Edited by timsweb