Official Windows Messenger Live BETA Thread

For us Australians wondering what's going on, Microsoft's answer is simple:

"You will get your invite shortly. Thank you for your patience"

That was all they said in the chat about the topic, quite pathetic considering they answered some really stupid questions that were off topic.

heres some questions and answers i got from the microsoft staff, in the beta chat today.

Andrew [MS] (Expert):

Q: [325] any plans for multiple signin's for Windows Live Messenger. People do this through "patches" already, which im not too fond of.

A: this is a lot nastier of a problem than it seems like, it is pretty easy to get a bad version of it up and running but very hard to get one that will scale to the number of users we have in a way that doesn't make everything a lot worse. This is a feature that is at the top of a lot of our internal wish lists, I'm sure we'll do it as soon as we can do it right.

Nicole (Expert):

Q: [97] How do you guys feel about Messenger Plus!? and about it's upcoming Messenger Plus! Live - msgpluslive.net

A: We love people who love Messenger!

Nicole (Expert):

Q: [344] Under Options > Personal, the display name window is so small! will you guys fix this, and make it bigger?

A: Why do you want it bigger?

Nicole (Expert):

Q: [53] follow up on the GUI.. where do you guys see yourself going with this bloated design?

A: We are looking at it. Do you have suggestions?

InesK (Expert):

Q: [433] will multiple people be able to share 1 folder? (maybe a group of people?)

A: That is a great idea. Thanks for pitching this in

Andrew [MS] (Expert):

Q: [459] any reason why you guys fly through versions so quickly? MSN 5 lasted a few months, till 5.2, then, 6.0 came along, until 6.2, then quickly to 7.0 (dont think there was a 7.1) but there was a 7.5.. now Windows Live Messenger 8.0?

A: No one's every happy. If you don't release people will complain it is old, if you do release often they'll complain you're churning too much. Can't make everyone happy.

Nicole (Expert):

Q: [362] to nichole about Q 344: oh god yes! the window is so small (width wise..) can you guys make this longer, so i can change my display name. it's very long at the moment. thanks!

A: we are working on making this better.

Damn lylesback, I should have just copied the whole thing when I was in there :pinch: hopefully someone else snagged it! Most questions and answers are typical but some are actually interesting :yes:

Australians got the wrong type of invites for the beta.

Supposed to get invites to go to ideas.live.com but instead we all got Connect Invitation IDs which are basically useless so we have found out.

Nicole said the problem would be fixed "shortly".

As they said in the email: "We need your expertise again!" :D

Cheers.

Damn lylesback, I should have just copied the whole thing when I was in there :pinch: hopefully someone else snagged it! Most questions and answers are typical but some are actually interesting :yes:

Email me at oscyaki {-at-} gmail.com and I will send you the Experts responses and questions to you (for the entire chat session).

Cheers.

the connect invitation IDs are not useless, it gives us access to newsgroups and i am sure we will be getting a download link soon!

Already had download link for ages - it has been promoted in newsgroups, forums, chat sessions and much more.

Just need provisioning email.

The newsgroup is not that exciting to use when you don't have a clue on what most of the topics are talking about. :)

I have the transcript to the chat, I'll post it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to or not because it was a password protected chat, so if I am, let me know and I'll post it.

I have the transcript to the chat, I'll post it but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to or not because it was a password protected chat, so if I am, let me know and I'll post it.

The password didn't really provide any protection. The only link to the chat was on Connect- the password was posted on the same page. XD

Edit: Whoops. Alright, maybe the link to the chatroom wasn't the only one there.

^ Same here message me for that too

Also I read that A Patch has to bring you back down to protocal 12 or something? whats up with the A Patch can I still use 13?

Ok I got an invite but I dont know how to use it now since It's in my Gmail, I've read all the previous posts but I am still clueless. Anyone care to explain? Thanks.

Edit: I figured it out (Use HTML view in Gmail)

Edited by primexx

Yup, I've used A-patch and still on protocol 13. I've tested this by using another e-mail - it did not allow me to sign in with another e-mail other than my main passport address which is registered with the beta.

Hmm... odd... I can load up "shared folders" with no problem - I take it that it won't let us share with our contacts? Not that it really bothered me.... as I don't do a lot of sending of photos and such stuff....