Puzzle Box 4

Dogga
On behalf of our client, Microsoft Corporation, we thank you for your participation in this sweepstakes and wish you continued good fortune.

Sincerely,

Include the name of the person/organization who wrote it so we can verify. Without that, it looks fake.

We would like verifiable proof of this so we're not going crazy here :)

brilo211

look I don't know if it is for real, I mean there is a typo in it for one thing "with must be completed" should be which. I just wanna know if anyone else got anything

Dogga
look I don't know if it is for real, I mean there is a typo in it for one thing "with must be completed" should be which. I just wanna know if anyone else got anything

Without revealing any personal info (that's not our goal here), could you copy/paste your email headers and the email address that the message came from? We've got some smart IT guys here who could track it down and find out if it came from a legit source.

ajdedo

Yeah, well my question is simple...... Why would they write telling you that you've answered correctly if it says "Answer as often as you wish, but only your final answer will count"

That doesn't make sense.

Either you continue to answer until you get right, or you wait until the contest is over and then find out if your final answer is right.

You can't have it both ways......

Beside, the correct answer is Harmony.

bsb001
She entered it Sunday afternoon. Here is the letter minus the personal info.

Congratulations! As the official judging organization of the Microsoft “Vanishing Point Sweepstakes”, we are pleased to announce that you are the first individual to correctly solve the Meta Puzzle and will receive the AMD Signature Chip Bonus!

You will have your name and at your option a short message (subject to approval) inscribed on each AMD Athlon 64 FX chip manufactured through March 31, 2007.

Please note this Bonus has no cash value. Please expect to receive via U.S. Mail an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity Release with must be completed and returned before the Bonus can be awarded.

On behalf of our client, Microsoft Corporation, we thank you for your participation in this sweepstakes and wish you continued good fortune.

Sincerely,

I'm not buying this. According to the offical rules:

Sponsors will provide overnight courier envelope to the potential Grand Prize winner to return the required documentation within twenty four (24) hours following receipt of same. Non-compliance with this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.

Since when does the US Mail count as a overnight courier?

brilo211

I gave you the company, the email it came from was from them apparently (@mardenkane.com). The guy doesn't need a bunch of emails. If we get a letter maybe we can let you know what that says.

this isn't the grand prize. They get called tomorrow.

melikejackdaniels

Do anybody think they will post the correct answer at 9pm? Since that's when the contest is done, we shouldn't be able to submit answers anymore. They should at least tell us what it is, right?

tunie

Hey! Full of Poo Poo is four words! Maybe that's it!! :sleep:

Orbitjeff
Maybe I posted in the wrong forum, or maybe I am way of track, but seriously, don't you think this is too much of a coincidence?

ALL the name so far have the same meaning......

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/datafiles/names.txt

Lorelei = Melody

Odessa = Melody

Kara = Melody

It looks like it can be a simple 1 word answer. - MELODY

Close... But according to the link you provided, it is Odetta that means Melody, not Odessa. Odessa means The Odyssey.

wjaspers

this sounds verrrrrrrrry similar to an eBay phishing scam.

...On behalf of our client, Microsoft Corporation, we thank you for your participation...

wow, this thing isn't even done and someone tried to phish the contest?

wouldn't microsoft just send it themselves???

Eric
I'm not buying this. According to the offical rules:

Sponsors will provide overnight courier envelope to the potential Grand Prize winner to return the required documentation within twenty four (24) hours following receipt of same. Non-compliance with this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.

Since when does the US Mail count as a overnight courier?

That's grand prize: the space trip et al... The Meta puzzle isn't the grand prize, it's the AMD engraving.

ajdedo
Close... But according to the link you provided, it is Odetta that means Melody, not Odessa. Odessa means The Odyssey.

Yeah I know it close...... But it's pretty damn close. And a hell of a coincidence don't you think?

Check this out too.....

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Rounded...sta-39984.shtml

That's what you get when you google Melody and Vista.

bsb001

Back to the game. I believe I saw screen shots of each place that had the bold/skinny lines. You know the main screen and each box'es main screen. I was just wanting to look at them side by side some. Anyone remember where they were?

I've tried searching, but I can't find the right key word to pull it up. With over 130+ posts I don't have time to go through them all. Can anyone help me find that post, or otherwise point me to them? Thanks

confusio

I'm not saying that you are not telling the truth but it really sound very strange,

the clue about Hardee was released yesterday, I'll doubt that without the extra

help with the change on that page we would have arrived to it, still possible but

hard to believe, and the anagram was found later yesterday too.

Also why they will notify the winner in advance and not make it public and keep

accepting answers, if true, that will get more than one totally ****ed off and

create negative publicity, which I don't think they want.

Ergo, something still smells fishy ...

If true, apologies in advance and congratulations ...

Cheers

bsb001
this sounds verrrrrrrrry similar to an eBay phishing scam.

wow, this thing isn't even done and someone tried to phish the contest?

wouldn't microsoft just send it themselves???

And since AMD is engraving, why would the email "client" be AMD?

Dogga

"Meta Puzzle Bonus: The first individual to correctly solve the Meta Puzzle will automatically receive the AMD Signature Chip Bonus, which means their name will be inscribed on each AMD Athlon 64 FX chip manufactured from the time of the award through March 31, 2007. If you are deemed the recipient of this Meta Puzzle Bonus, follow the instructions presented at time of notification or receipt. This Bonus has no cash value. "

Doesn't say it needs to be sent via mail. Maybe the email is legit, though I still would want to check email headers and originating address to be sure.

wbell
Maybe I posted in the wrong forum, or maybe I am way of track, but seriously, don't you think this is too much of a coincidence?

ALL the name so far have the same meaning......

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/datafiles/names.txt

Lorelei = Melody

Odessa = Melody

Kara = Melody

It looks like it can be a simple 1 word answer. - MELODY

You're slightly off. I looked at the link you provided, and "ODESSA" means "The Odyssey". "ODETTA" means "Melody".

Nice try, though. :cool:

lactose

I say congratulations!!!! That's awesome.

I gave you the company, the email it came from was from them apparently (@mardenkane.com). The guy doesn't need a bunch of emails. If we get a letter maybe we can let you know what that says.

this isn't the grand prize. They get called tomorrow.

mox6

I want to see a Screen Shot! of that email

Oh what was the answer you put it, Brilo?

notlikeme75

Phoenix, Arizona

Saturday, 13 January 2007, 1:02:00 pm

why not on the half or full hour mark like the rest?

bsb001

So does anyone have the screen shots of those screens with the lines on them (the

main screen and the boxes main screens)? I'm still looking, and can't find anything on it.

irulats

I think he could be legit. There are too many pointers to IVY. I posted earlier that TANLI + VISTA is an anagram of ATLANTIS IV. Atlantis disappears and your left with IV. Plus all the other reasons of course....

Orbitjeff
Phoenix, Arizona

Saturday, 13 January 2007, 1:02:00 pm

why not on the half or full hour mark like the rest?

Well, being one of the ones that was waiting for it... It was cloudy, and they changed the location. I didnt notice the time, but they must have changed that as well.

bethelmark

I know it's been solved (at least the answer is), but I'm working on a solid solution for "Chess Column". Using the fireworks as morse code, with the firework as a dash and the flashes as dots, it translates to the following:

BB

WK

BN

BB

BR

Which could mean:

Black Bishop

White King

Black Knight

Black Bishop

Black Rook

Any ideas from here?