The Big Wrestling Thread!

16 hours ago, Human.Online said:

Jesus, how could anyone look at that an not think “hmmm maybe we shouldn’t”

The plot's thickening, as WWE put out a statement claiming he approved the design: https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=130815

His response...

...and then it turned into what could only be described as "yikes"...

• Facepalm 2

Welp, he's deleted the last two tweets, so quick recap: the first one was a video of him saying "WWE doesn't care about black people", then flipping the bird; the other tweet said:

"###### ROH TOO!

The only allowed ONE African American to be the “Top Guy” while guys like @CedricAlexander TD, @Malcolmvelli and myself had to chase this visible carrot a stick.

Name another African American who was reached great heights there other than this Uncle Tom:

*image of Jay Lethal*

I'm going to go out on a limb here - I don't think Jordan Myles is going to be employed by WWE for much longer. It may looks bad for WWE if they fire him, but he seems like a real trouble-maker kind of guy. Now if he's telling the truth and he's just freaking out, I understand that. And WWE over the years hasn't had the most uh, respectable relationship with non-white persons let's say (kindly). But whether or not he's telling the truth, he's coming off as a quack imho. Honestly, his tweets remind me of someone else that has a very large Neowin forum thread in his "honor". :|

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:36 AM, Human.Online said:

Jesus, how could anyone look at that an not think “hmmm maybe we shouldn’t”

Ok, call me ignorant but what am I not seeing here?  Whats wrong with the shirt?

1 hour ago, George P said:

Ok, call me ignorant but what am I not seeing here?  Whats wrong with the shirt?

It took a bit of time for me to figure it out, too, but it's reminiscent of classic blackface.

• Like 2

Yes, that is what it's reminiscent of.  And hey, you can hapily claim ignorance, but over the last few years, there have been at least 2 high-profile companies who had used such imagery and had to take it down - so ignorance is not a valid response considering WWE's use of social media.

I will say, he is handling this terribly though!

3 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I will say, he is handling this terribly though!

Agreed, even Titus O'Neil said that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

It took a bit of time for me to figure it out, too, but it's reminiscent of classic blackface.

I see the connection but if I didn't actually look it up it really wouldn't have hit me.  I mean the gucci thing is way more in your face than this shirt IMO.  When I originally looked at the shirt design I didn't think it was trying to be a smiling face, maybe I just didn't know enough of his characters backstory to put 2 and 2 together.  That to me just looked like his name with a red shape behind it.  

31 minutes ago, George P said:

That to me just looked like his name with a red shape behind it.  

Not necessarily my argument, but an argument here is that you don't see it because you've not had to fight against that image your entire life.  It doesn't bother you and stand out to you because it's not offensive to you.

It's not offensive to me either, but I do have to say that as soon as I saw it, I saw the smile.  Then my brain goes "And where are the eyes - oh wait - oh crap - it's a white smile on a black face".  I don't necessarily feel it's "racist" (personally feel that it's too simplistic to say that) but I 100% firmly believe that someone should have picked this up and thought "Now, this could be misconstrued and blow up in our faces".

A little background for the non-Brits: former middleweight boxer, bronze medalist at the 2012 Olympics, had a promising pro career, going 11-0 until getting TKO'd in his one and only title fight about 3 years ago, suffering a fractured eye socket in the process, and eventually being registered blind. Despite seven surgeries, he wasn't able to mount a comeback and was forced to retire earlier this year at the age of 30. After that, he turned to pro wrestling, starting out at WAW (Paige's family promotion in Norwich). They did do a bit on him in The Road to Double or Nothing, so it's good to see they've brought him onboard now, as he definitely deserves a second chance at a big break.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Um, not for nothing, but do the Saudi's know about this? I know WWE was pushing for this since they started doing shows there, but man this came outta left field. Also, I THOUGHT THIS FUED WAS OVER? Jeez WWE.

2 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Poppy vs. Rick and Morty. Wednesday Night Wars, everyone!

Well Poppy certainly has her following of course, and she can be quite creepy so for Halloween stuff it makes sense. At least WWE is getting actual stuff involved (I guess?) instead of just the crowd wearing masks (which is fine of course) but considering Rick and Morty are a cartoon, yeah makes sense I guess.

Dave Meltzer is reporting that as of about 5:00 AM EST, most of the stars that went to Saudi Arabia for WWE Crown Jewel have been unable to leave the country and there is time ticking as when it could be feasible for said talent to make it back to Buffalo, NY in time for Friday Night SmackDown.

According to Meltzer, about 12 wrestlers made it out of the country and the reasons as to why there is such a major delay are currently unknown. The flight from Saudi Arabia is a 14-hour trip so for talent and crew to make it back to Buffalo in time is just about closed as of this writing. The impression Meltzer got from his report was that talent were asked to leave the plane after boarding and that it would be awhile until they would be able to take flight. Meltzer also states that he was under the impression that talent would not make it out in time and them leaving the plane wasn’t in relation to any mechanical issues or impending weather in Buffalo.

Meltzer also reports that Vince McMahon is no longer in Saudi Arabia. We at WrestleZone will keep you updated on the report as this story develops.

Wrestlezone