WWDC '09

Does anyone know if O2 would take an iPhone 3G as part exchange for a iPhone 3GS. I only just renewed my contract with them a couple of months ago and got the iPhone 3G but I want the new one!

sorry, but is the video capability of the iphone a software upgrade or must you use the 3gs before you can film?

Going by the new feature list page for 3GS, I think you need 3GS for video (N) . Shame on you apple.

post-62693-1244489630_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhan

the iphone 3gs isn't really appealing for current iphone users.

if you got the 3g model, i think the only thing that you can't do is probably tethering, video and compass.

no biggie for me definitely. 99usd 3g here i come!

edit: found a comparison page by apple, i think tethering can be done with 3g model!

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

only diff stated on site are: performance/speed (duh), video camera, voice control, compass & battery life.

ok why can't the previous iphone use voice commands?

It's not something I would use, but I just find it stupid, because it seems like a software thing unless I am wrong.

It's not something I would use, but I just find it stupid, because it seems like a software thing unless I am wrong.

Hardware.. the 3G has an underclocked processor..

One would assume the 3GS is using it at full speed or has greater processing power to support it

the iphone 3gs isn't really appealing for current iphone users.

if you got the 3g model, i think the only thing that you can't do is probably tethering, video and compass.

no biggie for me definitely. 99usd 3g here i come!

Well, tethering and video recording have been available for a while now on jailbroken devices, and the compass isn't really needed, so I'm not going to upgrade from a 3G.

I am tempted to get a MacBook Air at the new price though - with the student discount, it's ?987, with a free (read: ?20 after rebate) iPod Touch. If i sell the iPod Touch, and my current MacBook (Unibody 2.0GHz w/AppleCare), I'm probably not going to be that much out of pocket, if anything.

It is Apple's way of screwing current customers. Well they got to make money somewhere.

I understand that the iPhone 3G S supports 30 FPS VGA video recording due to a faster processor and better camera hardware, but surely the iPhone OS 3.0 update could have enabled some kind of video recording for iPhone/iPhone 3G users?

Following Apple's launch of the iPhone "3GS", official UK retailer Carphone Warehouse has confirmed pre-order plans for the new handset.

Due to launch in the UK (as well as in the US) on 19 June, eager iPhone-owner wannabes will be able to pre-order the mobile from Wednesday 10 June 2009 from www.carphonewarehouse.com/iphone.

Exact tariff details for the new phone are to be confirmed, but we know that here in the UK, official iPhone operator O2 has revealed the iPhone 3GS 16GB will cost up to ?184.98 depending on which tariff you take, with the 32GB setting you back up to ?274.23 - clearly a premium price tag for the new, tweaked mobile.

As well as a faster processor, and up to 7.2Mbps, the iPhone 3GS will offer an improved 3-megapixel camera complete with video capture, as well as voice control commands.

SOURCE: Pocket-Lint

Also, O2 have announced Tethering Prices!!!

O2, the exclusive UK carrier of the iPhone, has announced its pricing for the new iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G in the UK.

The operator has confirmed it will be offering both MMS and iPhone tethering for the launch of the new iPhone handset on the 19 June, however users will have to sign up for a tethering bolt-on pack bringing with it any hope that it will be a service available for all.

"To tether you need an Internet Tethering Bolt On: 3GB for ?14.68/month, 10GB for ?29.36/month. Both include The Cloud's Wi-Fi," the operator has confirmed making it an expensive option for users keen to use their iPhone as a modem for their laptop.

MMS will be covered in user's monthly contract, say O2, although it will cost the equivalent of four SMS messages to send a picture to friends or loved one.

SOURCE: Pocket-Lint

I still think the pricing in the UK is horrific. I mean you're tied to a 2 year contract (or 18 months, not sure) and paying between ?35-?45 a month yestillb> have to pay a stupid amount for the handset?

I understand that the iPhone 3G S supports 30 FPS VGA video recording due to a faster processor and better camera hardware, but surely the iPhone OS 3.0 update could have enabled some kind of video recording for iPhone/iPhone 3G users?

Then the iPhone 3G S would be solely a speed upgrade with a compass. :s

Hopefully there is going to be some sort of crack for jailbreakers to enable this :p

Wondering whether or not I should splash out on a 3G now and be able to use it with my current montly contract sim or wait till I go home and see what O2 can do for me on a new contract...

They just charge so much, right now if I bought an unlocked iPhone I could get 1000 texts/600 minutes and unlimited internet usage for 20 pound a month (rolling monthly contract). Of course that's after paying $400-500 for a handset but at least im not tied into a contract...

The iPhone 3GS probably won't be on ebay in time for me leaving, or will cost too much (I leave on the 25th).

I would really like 32GB of space mind you. If only Apple included an SD slot but we know them for the rip off merchants they are. And no that isn't "apple bashing", I love their products but they're all terribly over priced and quite often simple pro-consumer options/features/abilities are left out.

Edited by Audioboxer

O2...bunch of *******! Instead of making the 3G cheaper, lets just make the 3GS more expensive :rolleyes:

PAYG:

* iPhone 3G 8GB - ?342.50

* iPhone 3G S 16GB - ?440.40

* iPhone 3G S 32GB - ?538.30

O2...bunch of *******! Instead of making the 3G cheaper, lets just make the 3GS more expensive :rolleyes:

PAYG:

* iPhone 3G S 16GB - ?440.4* iPhone 3G S 32GB - ?538.30

/b>

lolwut

God I hate O2! I only just got a iPhone 3G! Now they are saying you have to buy your way out of a contract to get the new iPhone!

Also those prices are just stupid

lots of nice changes to different products... :)

the 13" pro looks tight now with a better LED and 8 gb ram support confirmed...

sd port is a cool bonus although I don't take my card out of my camera...rarely....useful for photographers I'm sure though...although usually both CF & SD slots are on most SLR's.

PAYG:

* iPhone 3G S 16GB - ?440.40

* iPhone 3G S 32GB - ?538.30

Seriously?! You're like a ?150/200 short of a Macb:blink:ink: That's ridicul:no::no: