Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 18.09.13 changelog:
- Added Ripple support for moving clips including Ripple All Tracks.
- When Ripple is on and you move a clip to the right, it now
- ripples (pushes) all the clips to the right instead of making a transition
- (including the Ripple All Tracks option).
- Added Ctrl+R keyboard shortcut to toggle Timeline Ripple,
- Ctrl+Alt+R to toggle Ripple All Tracks, and
- Ctrl+Shift+R to toggle both.
- Improved Snapping behavior on the Timeline.
- Added Ctrl+P keyboard shortcut to toggle Snapping.
- Added Reset Track Height (Ctrl+0) to the Timeline menu.
- Added a Timer video filter.
- Added support for negative rotation to the Rotate and Scale filter.
- Added Shake 1 Second - Scaled and Shake 1 Second - Unscaled presets
- to the Size and Position filter.
- Added a Text clip to the Open Other dialog.
- This is a convenience item that creates a transparent Color clip with a
- Text filter.
- Added Extract Sub-clip to Properties menu for audio/video clip.
- Added Export presets for WebM VP8 and VP9 with alpha channel.
- Fixed a crash when quickly changing clip selections in the Timeline.
- Improved closing Shotcut more reliably and the behavior of multiple shotcut
- Fixed Undo beyond Remove Track may crash.
- Fixed a crash when moving a clip after undoing a transition.
- Fixed a crash loading project after some sequence of inserting and removing tracks.
- Fixed a crash loading an image with the wrong filename extension.
- Fixed OS audio device changes may cause Shotcut to hang.
- Fixed crash dragging simple keyframes beyond the edges of the clip.
- The 32-bit Windows build can use more memory to reduce risk of crash:
- 3 GiB on 32-bit Windows and 4 GiB on 64-bit Windows.
- Improved behavior of opening WebP images.
- Fixed advanced keyframes for the Size and Position filter.
- Fixed inserted and then hidden video tracks become audio tracks after
- re-opening the project.
- Fixed changing Video Mode from Automatic to something else with
- nothing opened.
- Fixed moving a transition to another track leaves a hidden clip on the old track.
- Fixed trimming the out point of a timeline clip may change the in point of
- the following clip.
- Fixed Properties > Speed, Convert, Reverse, and
- More Information does not work sometimes after reloading a project.
- Fixed reliability of changing size and position fields with keyframes
- in Size and Position and Text filters.
- Fixed trimming outward with Ripple All Tracks moved clips on other tracks
- in the wrong direction.
- Fixed audio waveforms still appear on muted tracks after adding a track.
- Fixed edges of text with the Text filter may get cut off (clipped).
- Fixed Size and Position and Rotate and Scale filters may leave black
- right and bottom edge of frame.
- Fixed trimming a timeline clip with Fade In/Out Video filters
- with "Adjust opacity instead of fade with black" enabled.
- Fixed Export may change the actual frame rate and cause timing errors.
- Fixed reducing the Frame/sec in Export causes timing errors in the output.
- Removed the Compositing toggle icon from the Timeline track head. Now,
- it is located in the track Properties as Blend mode with a None option.
- In the 3D Text filter, replaced the Droid fonts with Liberation due to an
- incompatible license.
There is not much speed improvement. Most of the improvement
comes from a fix to prevent an incomplete shutdown. In the case of the 32-bit
Windows build, since more memory can be accessed now, we have removed some of
(not all) multi-threading limits.
- Improved the performance of changing filter parameters and scrubbing.
- Limit the number of background thumbnail and waveform generation threads to 4.
- Prevent trying to generate audio levels for waveforms for still images and
- other silent sources.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware