Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 19.12.16 changelog:
- Fixed Scale animation not linear in the Rotate & Scale filter.
- Fixed audio crackles in first couple of seconds of export.
- Fixed Ctrl+A selects all in Playlist as well as Timeline.
- Fixed the size and position of the Text: HTML editor with Settings > External monitor enabled.
- Fixed drag-drop from Playlist to Timeline sometimes reorders the Playlist.
- Fixed Color Grading and Contrast creates a weird color after deleting a keyframe.
- Fixed updating x265-params in Export > Other after making changes in Codec.
- Fixed opening another project in the same session breaks master track filters.
- Fixed saving a preset with a slash in the name.
- Fixed export fails if the system temporary directory is not writable.
- Fixed removing some temporary files on exit.
- Fixed the timeline Ripple All Tracks option was not saved with history (before the current setting used during undo and redo).
- Fixed an image sequence in Export > From > Playlist may show "INVALID" on export.
- Fixed changing Properties (for example, image duration) not updating the Playlist.
- Fixed snapping to horizontal grid lines.
- Fixed Timeline clip context menu > Properties broken in v19.09.
- Fixed bad bad transitions created by trimming beyond media beginning or end.
- Fixed audio does not follow default device changes on Windows.
- Fixed changing the speed of the clip on the right side of a transition creates INVALID transition.
- Fixed track filters were not restored when undoing a Remove Track.
- Changed the minimum of the Gain/Volume filter to -70 dB.
- Removed Settings > Deinterlacer > YADIF. (This was causing crashes, and this option only affects preview, not export.)
- Added support for adding a transition in Timeline when dragging over a gap.
- Added support for free-form movement of clips on the Timeline (no more snapping back).
- Change the Timeline and Keyframes toolbars respond to View > Small Icons.
- Upgraded Mesa software OpenGL in Windows build to version 19.2.7.
- Upgraded SDL audio output library in Windows build to version 2.0.10.
- Added a limit to undo History configurable to new configuration key undoLimit that defaults to 1000.
Added new video filters:
- Gradient video filter
- Scan Lines video filter
- Noise Gate audio filter
Added a new color gradient control to the following filters:
- Audio Light Visualization
- Audio Spectrum Visualization
- Audio Waveform Visualization
- Added View > Scopes > Video Zoom.
- Added Reverse checkbox to the Mask: From File filter.
- Added Remove Finished to the Jobs menu.
- Added Playlist > Update Thumbnails.
- Added Update Thumbnails to the timeline video clip menu.
- Added keyboard shortcut Shift+Escape to give the player focus (take focus away from certain widgets).
- Added a Two Column Scroll template to the Text: HTML filter.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware