Xbox One Launch Thread

Well the reviews seem pretty good so far.

It seems like both consoles are starting out on the same foot. Both have features missing at launch a lot of talk about being incomplete for both consoles) and both are only worth buying at launch if you find launch titles you want or are just a tech enthusiast.

Its nice to hear that the console runs quiet and that the ui seems to perform smoothly throughout.

Its also clear that Kinect offers a ton of little additions to the general usage of the system in and out of games that cannot be summed up in a sentence. It may not have Kinect only games to point to, but its now an integrated feature of the console. Its good to hear that it actually works well for all of those features as well.

• Like 3

Another point I have noticed is that people are really liking the voice commands, but its not a perfect system yet, with many reporting that commands sometimes require more than one attempt, suggesting something like a 80% success rate.

I'm eager to see how well this holds up when its actually in my room. Its clearly another software features that can be improved over time, but since it sounds like a great feature when its working, I'd like it to be as reliable as possible.

Here is another review:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82098/xbox-one-review-all-in

Some interesting notes from this one:

The reviewer stated clearly that he was running his ps4 through the hdmi-input on the X1 for his entire review of that console and noticed no lag at all. That's pretty cool. I definitely want to do this with my setup.

It also makes clear that game dvr function is more robust and flexible than the ps4 even if its not as easy to access since you simply press the share button on the ps4. I've played around with it on my ps4, but I'm just not interested in uploading to facebook. I'm glad the X1 is different in that respect.

• Like 2

Another theme I see is that the apps are apparently running smooth and loading quickly. That's been an issue for me on the ps4 so far. Slow loading and unstable in operation.

Also, the polygon review mentioned that the day one patch is over 1GB. I thought it was smaller than that?

heres a 20 something minute xbox one raw and uncut video. real world usage

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/19/xbox-one-uncut-demo

he seems to have a few misses with Kinect,but most of them are because he uses the wrong commands, or his Kinect is not setup properly, or some people are running different firmwares.

look how awesome and accurate gizmodos experience is.

I still haven't decided on which console. lol. 

us cool kids are gettin the once(those among your friends i'm referring to :P) plus forza 5 mr drift king :P

Well the XB1 reviews validate the strategy of wait and see.

Reviews all say that when it works its pretty amazing and is the most definite glimpse of the future, but there are a fair few medium sized hurdles that it needs to sort out before it truly attains greatness. Quite a lot of YMMV but generally software updates should fix these,no glaring hardware issues

Controller - good, rumble triggers quite nice.
Kinect - needs work, bit too picky, much better than PS4 + eye but not quite justifying $100 quite yet
HDMI - YMMV - Eurogamer had lag, others didn't when putting consoles through it
Games - Buy the big titles. Avoid lococycle at all cost
Multitasking - neat but needs apps
Console - big, black, silent. No hardware issues with review units unlike ps4.

Smart glass - All the right improvements were made, now needs more dev support

Internet explorer - surprisingly competent

Good to see that the battery life is about the same. Only a couple more days left until I get hands on. Can't wait. 

The speech recognition looks really responsive.

I hear from many people in here that its mostly software related so if that's the case should we expect some kind of update for speech recognition for Windows which is currently nowhere near to the one in Kinect?

Received my amazon email asking me to verify my pre-order payment method.  Since I have Prime, I'm expecting the status to be updated today.   :woot:

Looks like Xbox will keep the best controller crown again? :)

Really loving this bit...

One of the most exciting additions to the controller is actually behind that unusually long battery life. The controller works in coordination with Kinect to monitor its use. When you put the controller down to watch a movie, it enters a low-power state. It?s a smart way of extending the utility of Kinect in a practical way.

Skype can not be snapped? That is highly disappointing. :/

Thought they'd have that one ready but it looks like it's not ready yet.   We'll have to wait and see how long it takes them to push out updates to apps and the OS itself.

I know it isn't designed to be stood on it's end but can anyone confirm if it's impossible?

My set up realy needs it on its end, not lay flat.

I know it isn't designed to be stood on it's end but can anyone confirm if it's impossible?

My set up realy needs it on its end, not lay flat.

Microsoft does not support it standing on end due to the optical drive not being designed for that.

Just got a text from game.co.uk regarding my Xbox One pre-order.

Got excited, but turns out they are just "reminding" me to buy more games for it.

Thanks, Game. :hmmm: