• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

clearONE

axialix    0

May the clearONE be with you, always. :D

Viserov    0

Thanks for this awesome skin!

Rekoil    0

That really is a kickass system you got there Rekoil. Bet you're loving every minute of using that thing. :yes:

Yes, yes I do :p. I'm missing it like crazy here hotels have the ****tiest computers ever.

Chode    1

Found a bug with your Text Shadows, axialix.

Seems to disable everytime Winamp is restarted. Still enabled in the options, but don't show up. The workaround is to disable then re-enable.

axialix    0

Thanks Chode. I've got another version coming out soon, so I'll get those shadows taken care of.

Barisko    0

I also want to thank my good friend Barisko for all the bug testing he's done for me. Thanks buddy, haven't seen you around lately, but here's to ya! :)

Hi axialix my friend,

You did not see me around, that's so true, I'm to busy with my school, and I see that a lot of other people are helping out with testing and bug reports. But I'm still reading this topic and using you skin to the max!

I collected a few bugs and I was about to email you, but when I downloaded the new version it seemed that all bugs/problems have been solved. Great job!

Only one thing I do not like about the new version...

post-2001-1137851074.jpg

The white 'shadow' on the buttons. I can't describe to you what I don't like about it, but it just should not be there if you ask me... Was it a request?

Greetings,

Barisko

axialix    0

There you are! Was wondering where you'd been hiding. And as always, you seem to find all my errors. :) I'll try to do something about those white shadows with the clear style in the new version. Stay tuned!

smoovie.    0

First, thanks for this.

Now, is there any way you can make the notifier movable on multi-monitor desktops? I have four monitors going and would like to be able to set the notifier to pop-up on another screen other than my main one. I can drag and drop it to another monitor but it always pops back up on the main.

@chode ... how do you get the second window under the main window? and how do you get rid of the repeat and shuffle buttons on the right of the main window. I could do it with the beta but not this one. >_>

This skin may just need tutorials to use it's so customizable hahaha

roth377    0

roth377, you are correct. The "Smooth Coverart" option is supposed to smooth out the jaggies in the notifier window. The difference it makes can be subtle at times, but it does work to a certain degree. Winamp does not resize images well, at least not as well as a separate plugin (Toaster for example) does, so that's why I added this option.

If I'm understanding you correctly, and that the image scaling is done by Winamp, then should I also assume that resizing the notification (for the purpose of making the image bigger) is out of the question? I don't want to sound so nitpicky, but I'm just wondering if it's possible. If not, no worries, as this is still the best skin I've seen.

axialix    0

I don't have a dual or multi monitor display, so I can't do much for you Satan. Wildfire also requested this feature, but I'm really clueless as to how to set it up. I'll search around the forums at Winamp and get back to you.

If I'm understanding you correctly, and that the image scaling is done by Winamp, then should I also assume that resizing the notification (for the purpose of making the image bigger) is out of the question?

So you want to be able to resize the notifier, in effect making the coverart there larger. Hmmm, that would take a lot of coding, but I do believe it's possible. Set sizes (50px, 75px, 100px, etc) would be easier, but it would still take me awhile to set it up. I've thought about this before and it is a good idea, however what I'd really like to do is add a Main mode that includes the Coverart, play/pause/prev/next buttons, Songtitle, Vis and possibly more. What about that?

Chode    1

@chode ... how do you get the second window under the main window? and how do you get rid of the repeat and shuffle buttons on the right of the main window. I could do it with the beta but not this one. >_>

I just drag-and-dropped it there. Then I disabled a lot of the buttons under the CF windows second customize button.

Here's a screenshot of my settings:

post-42104-1137975464.jpg

This skin may just need tutorials to use it's so customizable hahaha

Oh, I can't have with that. Exploring a new skin is half the fun. :)

JulianL    0

(please forgive my English!)

Hi Axialix!

Congratulations for this AMAZING skin!! I've been using the beta for months and this final version is even better. GREAT work, man! :D

So far I’ve only encountered just one minor problem. It's related with the shadows of the screen that displays the song and artist (btw, nice feature to make that info always visible!). This is what happens: I use black shadows over white text, but for some reason, every time i close and reopen winamp, the shadows aren't visible again. The strange thing is that in the "Options > ClearOne > Text Shadows" menu, they ARE set as they should. The only way to activate them again is to clic Options > ClearOne > Text Shadows > Black Shadows TWICE

Except for that minor issue, your skin works looks and works fantastic.

Btw, in case you are planning to release a new version, here are some other suggestions.

1) I know your skin can't work well if you distribute it as a .wal file, but why don't you try to create an installer instead? It can be used to automatically install the required font and to recognize where the winamp directory is located. Making an installer can surely make things easier for newbies and make your skin much more popular.

2) I think the color combination GlassBG <any color, i like just white> with the options' style set in "glass" and "clear BG" is the color combination that most people use. IIRC, It is the same that came as default in your beta and the 1st you have in your webpage. I wonder why you do not make it the default combination in version 1.x

3) One of the features I loved for 2 other skins I used (MMD3 and Avalon) is that the video window also has a "position bar" and other buttons (play, stop, rewind, etc.). It's really useful if you frequently play your videos using winamp and you don't want the main window to be occupying unnecessary space. Also in the video window a button to make the main window to go on and off could be helpful too.

4) In the Visualizer window (not the one within the main window, but the one that works as a plugin) the "prev", "next", "random" and "options" buttons are just occupying space. I think most people would like to have that window clean, so it can be a good idea to place just one small button in one corner that make all the rest to appear when you really need them.

Congratulations again for your skin!

Regards, Julian.

axialix    0

Wow, thanks Julian! This is the kind of feedback I really like. Suggestive criticisms are the only way this skin is going to get better.

Now to your comments:

The text shadows have been fixed (yours too Barisko :)), but I haven't released the new version yet. I've got a small bug with a new Notifier animation mode that I'm trying to get rid of, but as soon as that's done I'll release it.

Let me start by saying that I'm doing things in a certain way so that Winamp will accept my skin submission. That's why there's no installer and also why the skin defaults to Desktop Alpha Off (SolidBG style). But since reading your comments, I'm starting to say the hell with them and do it my own way. :D

1) Where do I start to create an installer? Ok, I haven't Googled it yet, so unless you or someone else can point me in the right direction straight off, that's where I'll start next.

2) Making the Glass and ClearBG styles the default has been requested before by Chode. But like I said above, it was with Winamp.com in mind that it's not set that way.

3) You're right about the Video window. Most skins do have buttons there. But at this point, it would just seem like too much duplication to add all the buttons/seekers to it. After all, they're already on the Main mode which is easily dockable to the video window. Moreover, you could just hide the rest of the buttons (PL/ML/VD/CF) on the Main mode and be left with what you want. I'll think about this though. Could be included in a future version. Let me say too that I'd include it right away, but it's really a LOT of work.

4) Creating a button to show/hide the Visualizer buttons would require the bottom of the Vis window to grow/shrink, and that would be a serious headache = impossible with the way the styleBG's are setup. I'd like to remove them completely, but I'd hate to take away functionality that some people may miss.

Finally, I do appreciate your comments, and you've given me a lot to think about. I'll leave you with a shot of the new notifier (opacity will be totally adjustable :)).

post-110624-1138009712.gif

Chode    1

1) Where do I start to create an installer? Ok, I haven't Googled it yet, so unless you or someone else can point me in the right direction straight off, that's where I'll start next.

Nullsoft comes through with this one as well.

The Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, completely free and open source.

I've personally never used it, but it's meant to be quite great.

Wikipedia entry on it.

axialix    0

Very cool! Looks rather involved, but this is definately the way to go. Chode is da man!

Edited by axialix

roth377    0

So you want to be able to resize the notifier, in effect making the coverart there larger. Hmmm, that would take a lot of coding, but I do believe it's possible. Set sizes (50px, 75px, 100px, etc) would be easier, but it would still take me awhile to set it up. I've thought about this before and it is a good idea, however what I'd really like to do is add a Main mode that includes the Coverart, play/pause/prev/next buttons, Songtitle, Vis and possibly more. What about that?

If it takes much coding at all, PLEASE do NOT do it for my sake. It's not that big of an issue for me. Plus if the resizing is just as bad at 100px/75/etc, then the issue would still be there. Sorry to make the issue seem more than it really is.

In regards to the main mode, it does sound like a good idea, but not for me. I'm sure others would love it, so I certainly don't want to steer you off from that, but for me, I love having the stick-mode (barely visible), and then have a notifier come up to display new song informatio, then dissappear. So having a constant coverart along with a bigger main window is just not for me.

So, in closing, I'm perfectly happy with what I have right now.

Thanks for your responses!

axialix    0

roth, batting ideas around hurts nothing, so no request is a minor detail to me. But unfortunately, nothing is going to help make the coverart look better once it's been resized, so the resizing issue will still be there. I really want to go ahead with the Main mode. I've been dissed a bit over not skinning it, so it's definitely gonna happen.

As soon as I get this installer business cracked open, I'll post up the new version.

axialix    0

I have updated my site with the new version 1.3. The installer will take me some time to sort out, so for now, just get the zip file like before.

Here's a short changelog:

• Text shadows option added to CF window.

• Shadows removed completely from clear style.

• New Roll Up/Down notifier animation added.

• Notifier Opacity option added.

• Notifier text rearranged to better fit bevel.

• Fixed PL ClearBG Vis cpu usage (honestly, it's fixed this time), just only for the OFF mode. Still uses tons with the Vis ON and I can't figure out why. :(

• Glass and ClearBG styles set as default.

:cool:

Barisko    0

Your the best Axialix! Keeps getting better and better.

This time I only have one suggestion for your site.

I downloaded the skin multiple times now, and still I get confused when I come to the second page (titled Step 1).

On this page I can choose between getting the font 'Basic5' and reading the 'Tips'. For me it's not clear that 'reading the tips' leads to the actual downloading of the skin. Like I said, it confuses me every time. Maybe you should change 'Tips' in 'Continue for download' or something.

I don't know... maybe I'm the only one... but I thought I better let you know.

Barisko

Cyranthus    0

um... how do i download it? theres nothing on the page but a picture.

i found it eventually, but i shouldnt have to look through the source code to get it. fix your website.

Edited by Cyranthus

axialix    0

Ok guys, I get the message. I'll change it now.

JulianL    0

Geez! you work fast!

I've just made a reply and i've found that you already came up with an upgrade! Ok, I'll edit the "bug report" part (i've found another one) and test the new version.

Wow, thanks Julian! This is the kind of feedback I really like. Suggestive criticisms are the only way this skin is going to get better.

Please! The least I can do for such a great skin is trying to provide you some feedback. Btw, thanks for such a thorough reply to all my comments. All your answers make sense to me.

I’m glad you’ve taken into consideration to develop an installer. I’m sure it will make things easier for many people. Btw, if you implement it, it can be a good idea to supply some kind of tutorial or even a help window for the Tips you have in your webpage and the album cover filename thing.

[EDIT!] :D

Well that’s all for now.

Regards, Julian.

Edited by JulianL

axialix    0

I'm working on the installer right now, but it's hard stuff for a noob like me. :blush: I got the skin files installing in the correct directory, but making the installer write to the cmd files (that change the PL/ML button styles) is giving me a headache. I think I'm gonna go throw up. :x

Ok, better now. About the tips, I'd prefer not to include them within the skin if possible. I'd rather just have a small window pop-up on first install giving the link to my site which will have them all there. This will save a lot on the final size of the skin since there are many screenshots.

Please let me know if when you find any bugs. With all I've tried to accomplish with this skin, it's about as bulletproof as a bedsheet.

JulianL    0

Nice new version!!! Shadows works, lighter on CPU, loved the roll up/down effect and the opacity in the notifier (I’m even thinking of renaming my album covers… Go figure!). Great work again, as expected :-)

Anyway… here’s the bug report part :-(

I’ve found an issue with the options in the main window right clic menus: The changes you make from there DO work as they should, but you don’t see the applied changes in the checkmarks at once. (you have to shut down winamp and restart it to see the changes in the checkmarks).

I’m referring to the

- Options > ClearOne > Freeze;

- Options > ClearOne > Notifications;

- Options > ClearOne > Always on Top;

And so on.

The issue with the shadows was somewhat different, I think, since the problem there was that you missed the changes once you had close winamp, needing to apply them again twice. (but it's solved now)

Another really minor suggestion: I don’t know if it’s possible but… In the right clic menu on the vis window (spectrum, oscilloscope, etc.) you can put an option to not use any vis (or to use just the track length). Also it can be useful to have all the possible vis alternatives in the fixed track length when you do not use any vis.

That's all for now, congratulations on the new version.

Rgds.

Julian.

Edited by JulianL

JulianL    0

Please let me know if when you find any bugs. With all I've tried to accomplish with this skin, it's about as bulletproof as a bedsheet.

LOL don't be so hard on yourself. You've made what many (I’d say most) of us think is the best skin for winamp available!

I’m afraid I can’t help you with the installer, I’ve never used any so you only have my best wishes there :-)

Take care.