We're nearing the end of another week, which means it's time for Microsoft to release its weekly update to the Dev channel of the Edge Insider program. Those testing the new Chromium-based Edge can now get build 18.104.22.168, which focuses on smaller improvements and fixes.
Among the improvements in today's build is the ability to copy the download link for files in the download list, as well as a new "Save As" option for PDF files. Here's the full list of improvements:
- Added a "Copy download link" option to the menu for a downloaded item
- The context menu for a canceled download no longer shows a list of disabled items, and instead shows only "Copy download link"
- Added a "Save as" option to the toolbar in the PDF viewer
- The "Add to dictionary" context menu option for a misspelled word now has an icon
- For quick links on the new tab page, if there is no site icon available we now show an icon created from the first letter of the site
- Increased the size of some text on the user profile flyout for readability
- When a tab is at minimum width and only shows the close button, that close button is now centered in the tab
- In the Apps submenu, an option now reads "Install this site as an app" instead of showing a really long menu item name that contained the title of the current site
- When using the keyboard to move through tabs, you can now press enter and not just space to switch tab
Along with those changes, Microsoft has fixed a number of issues in today's build. Some of these revolve, once again, around dark mode, which is already available in the latest Canary builds. Here's what's been fixed:
- The send feedback dialog no longer spellchecks URLs and email addresses
- Fixed a bug where Microsoft Edge may crash after it was accessed through a remote desktop session
- Fixed a crash when navigating back to history search results
- Fixed a crash related to tooltips that would occur in a number of different scenarios
- Fixed a visual formatting problem with the warning about a dangerous file download
- Fixed a bug in the DevTools Performance tab where the checkboxes in the event log viewer overlapped with the content of the adjacent pane
- New tab page settings no longer show up in settings search
- Fixed a bug with tree views (such as the one seen when adding a new favorites folder) were showing black-on-dark-grey icons in dark theme
- The icon for the new tab page is no longer black on dark grey in dark mode
With those fixes in tow, it's likely that dark mode will be enabled in the Dev channel starting next week. For now, it can only be enabled through the edge://flags page.
Just like last week, the leaked Edge Beta channel is also getting an update, and that brings it to version 22.214.171.124, indicating that Microsoft is still stabilizing version 75 of the browser, presumably in preparation for wider availability. It's been a few weeks since Microsoft started releasing preview builds of the new Edge browser, so it would make sense for it to be officially available in the Beta channel soon.