Microsoft posts up Q&A for WP7 update woes

Microsoft has had a less than pleasant experience with its update for the WP7 platform. While the majority of users have not had an issue, a minority share have had their devices rendered unusable after trying to apply the update.

In response to the issue, an official Q&A has been posted on The Windows Blog that should help clear the air about what is going on and what end users can expect. Microsoft states that 90% of WP7 users are unaffected and that the remaining 10% are the minority share that are currently experience the issues.  

Microsoft does readily admit that the update did not go perfectly and that they are "committed to learning from our first update and improving the process". With the stumble on this update, many are hoping that the impending 'NoDo' update will not be delayed because of the issues discovered. 

While it's disheartening if your device is the one that is affected, Microsoft is working feverishly to fix the issue and have publicly admitted that there is a problem. Below is the official Q&A from their blog:

Q: I’ve read there are problems updating Samsung phones. Is this true?

A: We’ve identified a technical issue with the Windows Phone update process that impacts a small number of Samsung phones. We’re working to correct the problem as quickly as possible. But as a precaution, we’ve briefly suspended updates to Samsung phones. We are continuing to update other Windows Phone models as scheduled.

Q: How can I make the update go more smoothly when my turn comes?

A: Given what we’ve learned so far, the best way to prepare for your update is to make sure your computer has an Internet connection and plenty of disk space before you begin. Why? Because before updating your phone, the Zune software and Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac attempt to back up your phone data as a precaution. For more details, see Make room on my computer for phone updates.

Q: If I have questions or a problem with the update, where can I get help?

A: This troubleshooter addresses several update-related error messages. Another great source for troubleshooting info is the Windows Phone forum on Microsoft Answers. Finally, see our complete set of Phone update articles on the Windows Phone website.

Q: Can every Windows Phone receive this update?

A: Yes. All Windows Phone 7 devices are eligible for updates.

Q: Can I get this update “over the air” via my carrier’s cellular network?

A: No. The only way to update your phone is to connect it to your computer and update it via either the Zune software or the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac. (Only the update notification is sent over the air to your phone.)

Q: I don’t live in the U.S. Will the update process work differently where I am?

A: No. Everyone with a Windows Phone 7 in a supported market will receive a notification when new updates become available, and will have to update their phones by connecting it to their computer and running either the Zune software or the Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac.

Q: I still haven’t received an update notification yet. When can I expect it?

A: It’s hard to predict because it depends on many factors. It could be days—or even weeks—before you’re able to update your phone.

Q: Why can the process take so long?

A: The simple truth is that the smartphone world is complex, and even a small update like this requires a coordinated effort by multiple companies to pull off.

Another reason is that Microsoft and the carriers we’ve partnered with around the world need time to test phone updates to make sure they meet our joint quality, performance, and reliability standards. Testing schedules can vary, and that affects when you’ll be able to download an update.

We’re working closely with our worldwide partners to determine update delivery schedules and also looking for ways to improve the process.

Q: What happens if I don’t update my phone?

A: Even if you skip this update, you’ll still eventually receive it. The patch will simply be bundled together with our next update.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Gaming buttons for your touch screen device

Previous Article

New Windows Phone 7 ads go head-to-head with your current smartphone

35 Comments - Add comment