QuickTime is software that allows Mac and Windows users to play back audio and video on their computers. QuickTime 7 Player takes advantage of the latest video compression technology. It's called H.264, and it's an important new industry standard that's quickly garnered widespread support. QuickTime 7 Player also supports a wide-range of industry-standard audio formats, including AIFF, WAV, MOV, MP4 (AAC only) and AAC/ADTS. But taking a deeper look, QuickTime is many things: a file format, an environment for media authoring and a suite of applications:
- QuickTime Player — for playing back audio and video files
- Browser plug-ins — for viewing media within a web page
- PictureViewer — for working with still images (Windows only; Preview is available on Mac OS X)
- MPEG-2 Playback Component — for playing back MPEG-2 content (requires separate purchase)
- Change log not available at the time of this news post.