When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

OneDrive users' ability to pin shared folders to 'My files' now generally available

Microsoft today announced the ‘Add to OneDrive’ feature is now generally available. The feature was first announced back in September and entered public preview for a set of users. As the name suggests, the feature lets users add folders and files shared with them via OneDrive, SharePoint, or Teams to their own directory.

This lets users easily access shared folders without having to navigate through or look for specific users in the ‘Shared with me’ location in OneDrive or in the shared libraries on Teams or SharePoint, which is especially useful for enterprise customers. To add a file to one’s drive, all users have to do is select the desired files or folders and hit the ‘Add shortcut to My Files’ icon at the top. This pins a shortcut of the file to the My Files section.

Since the folder now resides in the users’ own library, they can be accessed across devices, and even on the desktop through Files On-Demand. Changes made to the files or documents will also sync across devices and support all collaboration features such as user mentions and notifications. The firm adds that these folders “respect all existing policies, compliance, and security settings”.

Lastly, the Redmond firm notes that for the next few months, admins will have the option to disable this feature for users in their organization. The functionality to opt out of having the feature enabled will be removed in the future.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

State of Decay 2 gains Xbox Series X|S enhancements and a new Lethal difficulty mode

Previous Article

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond multiplayer gameplay shown off