what will be the final name of Longhorn?

Bill Gates Super Explosion Fun Time

585279640[/snapback]

I agree!!! And they should ditch the whole Aero blah blah blah UI and have one designed by monkeys!!! It would really take everyone by surprise and it would be really revolutionary. Like if a monkey can use it, then it must be pretty easy to use!!!

Edit: Not just monkeys, but screaming monkeys who have been taunted with banannas for the past several hours and are whipped up into a fury!!!

Edited by Ji@nBing

It will probably not be a two letter thing or anything not directly describing who it's aimed for. Just read that XP Table PC Edition and XP Media Center might move into the "home" edition, and that the Home and Pro suffixes are going away. Brad Brooks of Microsoft wrote (in the swedish news):

"Using names that better describes what our products do will be in focus for us. There will be clear differences about what we're doing on the consumer and the corporate side, respectively".

So, Windows XP2, Windows NG, etc is probably not going to happen as that's not in line with what he says -- Windows "Next Generation" or Windows <year> doesn't tell who the OS would be for.

I think they should drop the suffix and go with a line under the title like this:

Microsoft Windows

Professional Edition

Microsoft Windows

Media Centre Edition

Microsoft Windows

Server Edition

Microsoft Windows

Tablet Edition

Microsoft Windows

Mobile

Microsoft Doors

Window Edition

All these posts about XP2 (which Microsoft has already addressed) and just calling it Windows is just plain silly. Do you SERIOUSLY believe that Microsoft would release an OS without denoting its version?

will probably be something really simple, but remember when windows XP was released all the speculation. I know it will be something catchy with XP and Server 03 as an example.

Paul :ninja:

It's gonna be called Microsoft Windows and that's it...

Version 2006, NT6.0

585301526[/snapback]

It doesn't make sense for Microsoft to not denote the version in the name. what is their advertising going to be like--"buy Microsoft Windows!" I already have it!

I suggested Windows 6, because it will be both 2006 and 6.0, so this makes perfect sense, and smartest, since Microsoft can choose to go either with the date or version number with the next release of Windows. Or even, the date can start being shortened; so Windows released in 2008 would be Windows 8

I think they should drop the suffix and go with a line under the title like this:

Microsoft Doors

Window Edition

585301342[/snapback]

Haha, thats a good one. :laugh:

Haha, thats a good one. :laugh:

585304891[/snapback]

post-25934-1105914321.jpg

Microsoft Executive said they were going to use friendly names, so who knows:

Windows Fart

Windows Burp

Windows Sneeze

Those are friendly and funny.

i think Microsoft Windows NG (Next Generation) sounds cool

2506070[/snapback]

i was thinking the same thing before i read the post.

so what about mac os. if they made it windows 6, what os is more experienced. well we never know, but with the new imac mini, sales will boost for mac and drop for MS

I really think 'Windows NG' sounds sort of clumsy. The best idea for a two letter version name so far is 'Windows fx' which I don't know if they'll use.

It would also make sense if they used a name after Windows which related to whats new in the product, in Windows 98 that would be the internet integration, etc. Though you could say 'xp' is really what they were going after in Windows xp, with 'experience' and 'fx' has to do something with Longhorn. I don't think anything more than something short like that would work anyway.

And I don't think they can just call it something like 'Windows Longhorn' people will wonder what that means and make fun of it. Even with Mac, OS X couldn't have just been called something like 'Tiger'/'Jaguar'/'Panther' etc it was called 'OS X' (OS 10), because it was necessary to note that this was a major upgrade, with the cat names just being revisions. Thats why I suggested 'Windows 6', which is much better than 'Windows 2006' but still can fit with the year scheme. Its also not really completely techy like 'Windows 6.0', it could work.

But I was thinking that it might also work to name it after the user interface, which would generally have a short catchy name ('aqua', 'luna', 'aero', etc). So in this case it would be 'Windows aero' (I think it looks better there with the 'a' lowercase.

Still though people might get used to the fact that as newer and newer versions come out they'll be harder to name, and even yet harder to differentiate chronologically based on names that aren't linear like version numbers or years.

brianshapiro

I think the final name of the Windows code named "Longhorn" wont contain 2006. So it wont be Microsoft Windows 2006, etc. I think its a shame for Microsoft that its next generation OS what would be released to manufacturing in 2004 will only be released in 2006. Its a shame. So if they will call it Windows 2006 it will contain the sign that they couldnt finish their OS to 2004, but 2 years later. So i think it will have an easy-to-learn name, like xp has, for example

Microsoft Windows Next.

TaciboY

I think the final name of the Windows code named "Longhorn" wont contain 2006. So it wont be Microsoft Windows 2006, etc. I think its a shame for Microsoft that its next generation OS what would be released to manufacturing in 2004 will only be released in 2006. Its a shame. So if they will call it Windows 2006 it will contain the sign that they couldnt finish their OS to 2004, but 2 years later. So i think it will have an easy-to-learn name, like xp has, for example

Microsoft Windows Next.

TaciboY

585308430[/snapback]

They said friendly names, and it will be called Windows.

Windows Energy - Professional Edition

Windows Play - Home Edition

Windows Flex - All in one, Pro, Home, Tablet, MCE

I really think 'Windows NG' sounds sort of clumsy. The best idea for a two letter version name so far is 'Windows fx' which I don't know if they'll use.

It would also make sense if they used a name after Windows which related to whats new in the product, in Windows 98 that would be the internet integration, etc. Though you could say 'xp' is really what they were going after in Windows xp, with 'experience' and 'fx' has to do something with Longhorn. I don't think anything more than something short like that would work anyway.

And I don't think they can just call it something like 'Windows Longhorn' people will wonder what that means and make fun of it. Even with Mac, OS X couldn't have just been called something like 'Tiger'/'Jaguar'/'Panther' etc it was called 'OS X' (OS 10), because it was necessary to note that this was a major upgrade, with the cat names just being revisions. Thats why I suggested 'Windows 6', which is much better than 'Windows 2006' but still can fit with the year scheme. Its also not really completely techy like 'Windows 6.0', it could work.

But I was thinking that it might also work to name it after the user interface, which would generally have a short catchy name ('aqua', 'luna', 'aero', etc). So in this case it would be 'Windows aero' (I think it looks better there with the 'a' lowercase.

Still though people might get used to the fact that as newer and newer versions come out they'll be harder to name, and even yet harder to differentiate chronologically based on names that aren't linear like version numbers or years.

brianshapiro

585307556[/snapback]

While i also like the idea of windows 6, i dont think it would work considering the stupidity and ignorance of most Windows users. Imagine this. Some guy gets a new computer, boots it, and is like.. WTF, Windows 6? 98 must be sooooo much better then. If they go with numbers they gotta stick with years, since its been going that way for so long.

While i also like the idea of windows 6, i dont think it would work considering the stupidity and ignorance of most Windows users. Imagine this. Some guy gets a new computer, boots it, and is like.. WTF, Windows 6? 98 must be sooooo much better then. If they go with numbers they gotta stick with years, since its been going that way for so long.

585309896[/snapback]

It would really be called Windows NT 6.

Windows 2006 Workstation Edition

Windows 2006 Consumer Edition

Windows 2006 Media Edition

Windows 2006 Tablet Edition

Windows 2006 Mobile Edition

Longhorn 2006 Small Business Edition

585309878[/snapback]

The executive said friendly names Jason. ;) And I still think this idea of the 7 editions is not true, it is sensible for products such as Office and Visual Studio, but Windows is just the OS, it doesn't need this aggressive componentization to suit specific markets. Three Editions, plus the Starter Edition for developing countries is just enough. It is also possible that Microsoft might make these specific features be modes during installation. You choose the environment you are installing for or hardware type.

Another reason why the so-called Premium Edition sounds like a big lie is because of licensing for it would be messed up.

Todays Professional Edition cost $300, Home $200, Tablet $300, MCE $130 [OEM Only], add up the total of all of those thats $930 plus the Small Business Edition which is probably gonna cost about $250 with grand total of $1,180, which would mean they are gonna cut the cost in half by dividing that $1,180 by 2, amounting to $590.00 for retail, and $300 OEM, the OEM Edition of Longhorn Premium would make computers significantly more expensive.

Now tell me, are you really going spend $600 on an OS? It better come with Office 12 for free.

So, please lets start thinking realistically, there won't be such a thing as Longhorn Premium Edition. Yes, I believe Media Center Edition will become the new Home Edition, Tablet PC functionality will be added to base OS, which would be Home from which Pro is built and the other SKU's. Meaning only 3 editions Longhorn, one for Home and one for Business and one for developing countries.

Its just logics.

The executive said friendly names Jason.??;);)? And I still think this idea of the 7 editions is not true, it is sensible for products such as Office and Visual Studio, but Windows is just the OS, it doesn't need this aggressive componentization to suit specific markets. Three Editions, plus the Starter Edition for developing countries is just enough. It is also possible that Microsoft might make these specific features be modes during installation. You choose the environment you are installing for or hardware type.

Another reason why the so-called Premium Edition sounds like a big lie is because of licensing for it would be messed up.

Todays Professional Edition cost $300, Home $200, Tablet $300, MCE $130 [OEM Only], add up the total of all of those thats $930 plus the Small Business Edition which is probably gonna cost about $250 with grand total of $1,180, which would mean they are gonna cut the cost in half by dividing that $1,180 by 2, amounting to $590.00 for retail, and $300 OEM, the OEM Edition of Longhorn Premium would make computers significantly more expensive.

Now tell me, are you really going spend $600 on an OS? It better come with Office 12 for free.

So, please lets start thinking realistically, there won't be such a thing as Longhorn Premium Edition. Yes, I believe Media Center Edition will become the new Home Edition, Tablet PC functionality will be added to base OS, which would be Home from which Pro is built and the other SKU's. Meaning only 3 editions Longhorn, one for Home and one for Business and one for developing countries.

Its just logics.

585310546[/snapback]

your logic is flawed and your math doesn't make sense. because every version of windows is a superset of another version, you only factor in the cost of the added features, you don't add all the SKU prices together. So it would more realistically go something like this (all full version prices):

Home: $199

Premium: $249 (superset of home)

Professional: $299 (using xp prices today)

SBE: $349-$369 (superset of pro)

Tablet: $349-$369 (superset of pro)

Uber: $399 MAX (any higher and you've entered Windows Server Web Edition pricing)

While I'd like MCE to be rolled into XP Home, I don't see it happening with Longhorn. I do however, agree with you on Tablet components: they will be rolled into Pro's feature set, but i included it because its on Thurrot's chart and I just ran down the list. MS wants Tablet PCs to go more mainstream and replace standard laptop computers, and rolling those features into the Pro feature set will help bring down the cost of those systems.

Edited by y_notm

your logic is flawed and your math doesn't make sense. because every version of windows is a superset of another version, you only factor in the cost of the added features, you don't add all the SKU prices together. So it would more realistically go something like this (all full version prices):

Home: $199

Premium: $249 (superset of home)

Professional: $299 (using xp prices today)

SBE: $349-$369 (superset of pro)

Tablet: $349-$369 (superset of pro)

Uber: $399 MAX (any higher and you've entered Windows Server Web Edition pricing)

While I'd like MCE to be rolled into XP Home, I don't see it happening with Longhorn. I do however, agree with you on Tablet components: they will be rolled into Pro's feature set, but i included it because its on Thurrot's chart and I just ran down the list. MS wants Tablet PCs to go more mainstream and replace standard laptop computers, and rolling those features into the Pro feature set will help bring down the cost of those systems.

585310852[/snapback]

You need to study your SKU's, Tablet & MCE are subsets of Professional, Professional is a subset of Home which is base OS.

So it is obvious that the other editions in Longhorn will contain functionality for joining a domain will be built from the Professional Edition. Which means, Longhorn SBE, Premium will be built from the Professional Edition.

Gosh, this is so confusing its giving me a migraine. Microsoft, show some mercy don't do this. :(