what will be the final name of Longhorn?

The word Windows is so easy to market, if you change name then you have to explain this is our new OS and its not called Windows any more etc.

By the time Longhorn is released it may be necessary.

From the company the brought you Windows comes the next evolutionary step in computing....blah blah blah, more hype and smoke up the butt about how it will make life easier, no flying people this time, discuss "security", more smoke...Introducing [insert name here] from Microsoft.

The other step is to completely rip off the Sony PS9/PS2 commercials.

It could happen. Though not likely.

• 3 weeks later...

Since Longhorn will eventually include WinFS (Windows Future Storage), I think it will probably end up being called Windows Future - a friendly name and pretty revolutionary until the next version comes along in 2063.

xp could even be an "Whistler" emoticon (you may need a bit of imagination here), turn it upside down to make dx, and the x could be lips and the p (or d) a musical note.

So....

Longhorn would become "Windows db". Turn db upside down to make qp and they almost look like a pair of curly horns.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuentes al interior de Microsoft habr?an se?alado que la compa??a ha encontrado un nuevo nombre para Windows Longhorn.

Longhorn ha sido el nombre con el que por largo tiempo se ha denominado al pr?ximo sistema operativo de Microsoft.

Las deliberaciones a nivel gerencial en la compa??a habr?an decidido que el nombre del software ser? Windows e-Xpedition.

Seg?n las fuentes, referidas por la publicaci?n The Enquirer, Microsoft estima que el nombre e-Xpedition conjuga una serie de elementos con asociaciones positivas.

?XP? es el nombre del actual sistema operativo, ?Edition?, de Media Centre Edition y finalmente la part?cula ?e?, que refleja el concepto ?e-hogar?.

La informaci?n extraoficial no ha sido confirmada por Microsoft, pero se espera que la compa??a presente nuevas novedades sobre Longhorn en los pr?ximos d?as..

Sorry!!!! but i can translate to spanish!!! please help me!!!

is important information about the name....

I used translator, and came up with this:

Sources to the interior of Microsoft would have indicated that the company has found a new name for Longhorn Windows. Longhorn has been the name with which by long time it has been denominated to the next operating system of Microsoft. The deliberations at managemental level in the company would have decided that the name of software will be Windows e-Xpedition. According to the sources, referred by the publication The Enquirer, Microsoft esteem that the name e-Xpedition conjugates a series of elements with positive associations. "XP" is the name of the present operating system, "Edition", of Average Centers Edition finally and the particle "and", that reflects the concept "and-home". The unofficial information has not been confirmed by Microsoft, but the present company is hoped that new new features on Longhorn in the next days.

And sadly, there's nothing new about this article.

The same information has been posted at Neowin before.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=288162

And I'm 70% sure that it's not true, because its source is very unreliable.

• 2 weeks later...
It will be causualy called Windows e-(Home, pro, premime, starter)

585587269[/snapback]

Premime :D

Anyway, I think it will probably a version 2007 product, since its being released in the second quartre of 2006.

• 1 month later...
i wouldnt be surprised if he kept it as longhorn

2509260[/snapback]

true, apple does it and works really well!

wouldnt be the first thing they copied

I'm going to combine some of my favorite names from above...

Microsoft Client Energi; Pro

Microsoft Client Play; Home/Media Center

Or, of course, replace "Client" with "Windows". They seem sort of creative in a way.

I also came up with a few, how about we ditch the different editions....? Kind of following the apple theme, but these sort of take the place of Service Packs, but not completely. But when there are notable changes. Like OS X has evolved, Windows 6 would too.

Microsoft Windows 6: Stratus (first version)

Microsoft Windows 6: Cumulus (second version)

Microsoft Windows 6: Cirrus (third)

Microsoft Windows 6: Nimbus (if they must have a 4th version)

All in all, it follows a cloud theme, but windows has always been keen on clouds. Well, since Windows 95 anyway.

Win PDC - Poorly Developed Candy

Win XT - eXperience the new Tosh

Win NA - WINNA!

Win KISS - Krashable and In State of Sh!t

Win Gates - Windows 'n' Gates?

Win TOTW - Tired Of This Waiting!

Win GAL - Get A Life!

Win DTD - do the dew!

Win MPC - Mp3 plaing cr*p

Win CE - Cheap Edition

Win GEE - Girly Edition Extreme

Win MC - Mac Copycat (j/k :p)

Win Doze

Win IE - Infected Edition

:evil: All I could come up with atm.

true, apple does it and works really well!

wouldnt be the first thing they copied

585776599[/snapback]

no apple doesnt, they are only keeping the codenames in the revision releases of OS X. OS X had to be called OS X. They werent going to call the 10th version of MacOS something like MacOS Tiger. It would have been stupid and sounded ridiculous and gimmicky, and besides they had to mark that it was a major version change. Its a completely different thing when they're naming revisions with codenames. Naming it Windows Longhorn would be as dumb as Windows Tiger, or MacOS Tiger. people just think Windows Longhorn is a good name because theyre used to calling it that. but it would confuse the public (they dont all know what longhorn is), it wouldnt mark a major new version, and it would be too gimmicky