• yes
    • no
    • he's there when u need him most
    • yes, but i dont pray
    • atheist
    • anarchist
    • i don't know
    • i don't want to answer, call me later

You owe it to yourself to attend-and see what Pentecost can really mean to you!

585149206[/snapback]

good way to conclude :)

i would suggest that ppl church around too-

and check out other faiths (but b uber friendly- bite your tongue if necessary)

(if anything it'll help you reaffirm why you believe the way you do and not 'x' way)

personally i'm a presbytarian (christian) /w some bhuddist ties/similarities (quirky huh)

god doesn't believe in atheists, therefore atheists don't exist

585148291[/snapback]

How do you know this?

Myself I am unsure, if what man named ''God'' actually exists.

Religion was invented by the upper classes to keep the common folk in check!

I'm Jewish and I beleive in a higher power. i don't really know what it is or what it's called, because it's too personal to have a name and likeness to a human. But I know it's there and I feel it with the sunrise and when I go to sleep.

You still haven't told me how you feel about people that believe in religions that don't center around a Christian God.  I'll make it easier this time.  Let's lump Christianity, Judaism and Islam all together since their Gods can all be construed as the same entity.

So, that said, what about those that believe in polytheistic religions or monotheistic religions with a different God?  What's to become of them in the afterlife?  I don't imagine they'd get into Heaven, since they don't believe in God.  Obviously they can't go to their own version of Heaven, because that would mean there are multiple 'correct' religions, and that just can't be.  So what's the deal?

What about the ancient Greeks and Romans?  Were they all just misguided for believing in so many gods?  If that's the case, then isn't it equally plausible that in 4000 years people will read the Bible as a 'mythology' book and wonder how so many people could have believed in such farcical tales?

P.S. - I'm trying to have a civilized conversation with you here, so don't go belittling me with your "Dear Little Jack"...ok?

585147341[/snapback]

Alright, well we got off track a bit ( perhaps more than a bit ), but dont think I've forgotten about you John...

I'm still waiting for a response to the quoted post above...

Oh I'm here, just working on the false statements jdb264c stated for now.

Your the least of my worries, please be patient, I will retern to our session soon.

John M

Edited by John_M

Your the least of my worries, please be patient, I will retern to our session soon.

John M

585156739[/snapback]

if i'm the least of your worries, why am I still waiting for a reply to what you'd have me believe is a insignifigant question?

I'm agnostic... so I voted athiest. The options above overlap a lot.

585172343[/snapback]

tell me about it...I think Neowin needs a "How to make a poll" tutorial. Most of the polls I've seen recently have grossly overlapping responses.

I am a Christian.  And I believe in God.  Why?  Here's an example.

Most of the past month I have been depressed, wanting to sleep a lot and not get out of bed.  Finally I got tired of it and asked my mom to pray to "God" that I would feel better and not be depressed any more.  The very next day, I was no longer depressed and I felt 100% again. :)  :D

And I haven't been depressed since either. :yes:

585092724[/snapback]

As long as you understand that what you have in an interpretation of events, drawing causality where only correlation exists, not fact...then more power to you. Where one sees the power of god, another just as easily sees the power of self or coincidence.

John M

585156739[/snapback]

How's it going..?

First off, I appreciate those of you on both side of this topic that can approach this without flaming others. It shows maturity in dicussion that people can RESPECTIVELY disagree.

To those flaming or making fun of believers, please keep in mind that to some of us, this is our GOD. That's a HUGE thing. Imagine somebody actively attacking your parents, or spouse. To those of us that believe, this is 100x worse.

That said, as a CHristian, I think the hardest thing to describe to non-believers is FAITH. Faith is such a key component of our beliefe system. I believe in God b/c I have faith and believe that the word of God (aka Bible) is a hard truth. I believe it backs up the case for God over and over again. To non-believers though, this document holds no validity per se. That is why some choose to try to explain their belief in terms of personal experiances.

When it comes down to it all, its a very personal, intimate decision. Even in the realm of science, there are still leaps made in scientific theory. Take the argument behind creationism vs. evolution. Even in the realm of evolution, there is a leap made by science. We have absolutely no way of prooving either way how the universe was created. We have evidence that can LEAD to a possible beginning, but nothing that is absolute. The same goes with belief in God. There is no "proof" to non-believers, but to Christians, the Bible is that proof.

I think its awesome that even on a board like this, there are those that have questions about life and faith and God. Its great that we can discuss this all openly!

I believe in god... and i'm not afraid to admit it.  It helps me to become a better person.  However, i am not going to go off on someone because they believe differently than I do.  I respect people for whatever they choose to believe.

585091741[/snapback]

But 99% of the atheist retards are not like that. It's a shame, really.

Saw this over on Rudd-O, thought it might enliven the God dsicussion a bit:

http://www.amautacorp.com/staff/Rudd-O/

An elegant satire that. But true in many ways. Even as a catholic, I cannot hold, as many do, that the bible is literal. These few points deftly illustrate that.

585191485[/snapback]

Truly a great one. Didn't "President" Bartlet use almost the exackt same speach in an episode of The White House? It's basically the same things I mentioned in my reply to John_M. There are numerous examples of contradictory things in both New and Old Testament, as well as cruelty etc. Personally, and in despite of what I actually replied earlier, I don't regularly use them as separated arguments (although they all bear validity). The most important thing is that the Bible actually forbids you to do anything but believe every word. At work right now (preparing to take care of returning victims from the earthquake over in Asia) so I can't really show you the verses, but might return to that.

Anyway, Wolvereen, I hope you didn't consider my replies to be of a mocking character, they weren't meant to be. I've studied the Bible from beginning to end numerous times and it just amazes me every time how anyone still can manage to believe. I could understand how one could want, or hope, or wish for a nice god to exist, but to believe? Don't get it.