Krita Desktop is a free an open source painting application. Krita is the full-featured free digital painting studio for artists who want to create professional work from start to end. Krita is used by comic book artists, illustrators, concept artists, matte and texture painters and in the digital VFX industry. Krita has been in development for over 10 years and has had an explosion in growth recently. It offers many common and innovative features to help the amateur and professional alike.
Krita has a user-friendly interface. The dockers and panels can be moved and customized for your specific workflow. Once you have your setup, you can save it as your own workspace. You can also create your own shortcuts for commonly used tools.
In addition to painting, Krita comes with vector, filter, group, and file layers. Combine, order, and flatten layers to help your artwork stay organized. There are also three different views on how to see the layers.
Krita supports full color management through LCMS for ICC and OpenColor IO for EXR, allowing you to incorporate Krita into your existing color management pipeline.
Open PSD files that even Photoshop cannot open. Load and save to PSD when you need to take your artwork across different programs.
Krita is the only dedicated painting application that lets you open, save, edit and author HDR and scene-deffered images. Furthermore, with OCIO and OpenEXR support, you can manipulate the view to examine HDR images, and use it in the most cutting edge workflows from the film and visual effects industries.
Krita 4.0.2 changelog:
Patch QSaveFile so working on images stored in synchronized folders (dropbox, google drive) is safe. BUG:392408
Enable WinInk or prompt if WinTab cannot be loaded
- Fix canvas update issues when an animation is being rendered to the cache BUG:392969
- Fix playback in isolated mode BUG:392559
- Fix saving animated transparency and filter masks, adjustment layer BUG:393302
- set size for a few timeline icons as it is painfully small on Windows
- Fix copy-pasting pixel data from animated layers BUG:364162
- Fix keeping “eraser switch size/opacity” option when saving the brush BUG:393499
- Fix update of the preset editor GUI when a default preset is created BUG:392869
- Make strength and opacity sliders from 0 to 100 percent in brush editor
File format support
- Fix saving state of the selection masks into .kra
- Read multilayer EXR files saved by Nuke BUG:393771
- PSD: convert the image if its colorspace is not supported
- Don’t let autosave close currently running actions
- increase the range for the pixel grid threshold
- only allow isometric grid with OpenGL enabled BUG:392526
- Fix a hangup when closing the image BUG:393916
- Fix a crash when duplicating active global selection masks BUG:382315
- Fix crashes on undo/redo of vector path points operations BUG:393209, BUG:393087
- Fix crash when deleting palette BUG:393353
- Fix crash when resizing the Tool Options for the shape selection tool BUG:393217
- Show the exact bounds in the layer properties dialog
- Add ability for vanishing point assistants to show and configure radial lines
- Make the Saturation slider update when picking a color that has Value 100 BUG:391934
- Fix “Break at segment” to work correctly with closed paths
- Disable right-clicking on popup palette BUG:391696, BUG:378484
- Don’t let the color label widget mess up labels when right button is pressed BUG:392815
- Fix Canvas position popping after pop-up palette rotation reset BUG:391921 (Patch by Emmet O’Neil, thanks!)
- Change the behaviour of the add layer button BUG:385050 (Patch by Seoras Macdonald, thanks!)
- Clicking outside preview box moves view to that point BUG:384687 (Patch by Seoras Macdonald, thanks!)
- Implement double Esc key press shortcut for canceling continued transform mode BUG:361852
- Display flow and opacity as percentage instead of zero to one on toolbar
- Fix build on ARM BUG:393010
- Fix a number of warnings generated by PVS-Studio
Krita 4.0.3 release notes:
Krita v4.0.3 is a bug fix release of Krita 4.0.0. This release fixes an important regression in Krita 4.0.2: sometimes copy and paste between images opened in Krita would cause crashes (BUG:394068).
- Krita now tries to load the system color profiles on Windows
- Krita can open .rw2 RAW files
- The splash screen is updated to work better on HiDPI or Retina displays (BUG:392282)
- The OpenEXR export filter will convert images with an integer channel depth before saving, instead of giving an error.
- The OpenEXR export filter no longer gives export warnings calling itself the TIFF filter
- The emtpy error message dialog that would erroneously be shown after running some export filters is no longer shown (BUG:393850).
- The setBackGroundColor method in the Python API has been renamed to setBackgroundColor for consistency
- Fix a crash in KisColorizeMask (BUG:393753)
Download: Krita 4.0.3 (32-bit) | Portable | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Krita 4.0.3 (64-bit) | Portable
Download: Krita Windows App Store (commercial software)
View: Krita Home Page | Krita Screenshot
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware