OnionShare is an open source tool for securely and anonymously sending and receiving files using Tor onion services. It works by starting a web server directly on your computer and making it accessible as an unguessable Tor web address that others can load in Tor Browser to download files from you, or upload files to you. No separate server or third party file-sharing service required. You host the files on your own computer.
Unlike services like email, Google Drive, DropBox, WeTransfer, or nearly any other way people typically send files to each other, when you use OnionShare you don't give any companies access to the files that you're sharing. So long as you share the unguessable web address in a secure way (like pasting it in an encrypted messaging app), no one but you and the person you're sharing with can access the files.
Open OnionShare, drag and drop files and folders into it, and click "Start Sharing". A secret .onion URL such as http://asxmi4q6i7pajg2b.onion/egg-cain will be presented for you to share.
Send this URL to the recipient of the files. E-mail, or a Facebook or Twitter private message is fine if the content isn't secret. The files are no more secure than the means of sending the address.
The recipient doesn't need OnionShare. Opening the address in Tor Browser is all that is needed to download the file.
- New feature: Receiver mode allows you to receive files with OnionShare, instead of only sending files
- New feature: Support for next generation onion services
- New feature: macOS sandbox is enabled
- New feature: Public mode feature, for public uses of OnionShare, which when enabled turns off slugs in the URL and removes the limit on how many 404 requests can be made
- New feature: If you're sharing a single file, don't zip it up
- New feature: Full support for meek_lite (Azure) bridges
- New feature: Allow selecting your language from a dropdown
- New translations: Bengali (বাংলা), Catalan (Català), Danish (Dansk), French (Français), Greek (Ελληνικά), Italian (Italiano), Japanese (日本語), Persian (فارسی), Portuguese Brazil (Português Brasil), Russian (Русский), Spanish (Español), Swedish (Svenska)
- Several bugfixes
- Invisible to users, but this version includes some major refactoring of the codebase, and a robust set of unit tests which makes OnionShare easier to maintain going forward
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware