VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
- Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don't have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
- Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
VirtualBox 6.1.20 changelog:
- VMM: Fixed extremely poor VM performance depending on the timing of various actions (regression in 6.1.0)
- VMM: Fixed guest OS hanging under certain circumstances when Hyper-V is present (bug #20141)
- VMM: Fixed Guru Meditation error when using a nested hypervisor under certain circumstances (bug #20175)
- VMM: Fixed a SMAP related host panic affecting Solaris 11.4 systems with Intel Haswell CPUs or later (bug #16068)
- OCI: Add cloud-init support for export to OCI and for OCI instance creation
- GUI: Fixed "Delete all files" leaving behind Logs/VBoxUI.log (bug #20235)
- Audio: Multiple fixes and enhancements
- Audio: Fixed detection of duplex audio devices on macOS (5.0 regression; bug #20171)
- Network: Fixed link status reporting for "not attached" adapters
- Network: Fixed connectivity issues with e1000 in OS/2 guests (6.1.18 regression; bug #20148)
- Network: Fixed VxWorks e1000 driver compatibility issue (bug #20182)
- Network: Fixed GUI checks for port forwarding rules rejecting IPv6 with "Nat Network" (bug #14847)
- DHCP: Don't crash in the presence of fixed address assignments (bug #20128)
- Serial: Fixed possible VM hang when using the a serial port in disconnected mode (bug #19854)
- Webcam: Fixed interoperability with v4l2loopback and fixed a crash under certain circumstances (bug #20176)
- NVMe: Fixed sporadic Windows VM hang or reboot on high CPU load
- VBoxManage: Allow changing network adapter attachment of a saved VM with "modifyvm"
- vboximg-mount: Fix for argument processing to honor the '--root' option (6.0 regression; bug #20073)
- Linux host and guest: Support kernel versions 5.11 (bug #20198) and 5.12
- Linux host: Maximum MTU size increased to 16110 for host-only adapters on Linux kernels 4.10+ (bug #19122)
- Linux Guest Additions: Fix vboxvideo module compilation for kernel version 5.10.x
- Linux Guest Additions: Fixed kernel module build for RHEL 8.4 beta and CentOS Stream (bug #20289)
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware