Windows Firewall Notifier is a third party program for Windows 7 and Vista that extends the default Windows embedded firewall behavior, allowing to handle outgoing connections.
This application only uses existing Windows features, enabling some of them when first launched:
- Enables the Windows embedded firewall
- Sets the firewall to block both inbound and outbound connections for which no rule exists
- Enables the default Windows firewall inbound connection notification
- Enables the Windows firewall outbound connections logging (disabled by default)
- Creates a scheduled task linked to the Windows firewall event log entries, allowing Windows Firewall Notifier to be launched when needed only
Whats new in this version:
- improved the application design
- changed the logic to allow any user to display the notifications, even in a multi user environment, with three different executable (Notifier.exe, RuleManager.exe and Console.exe).
- NB: when using the "enable for all" option, Windows UAC will display a notification when creating a rule (even for admin accounts). This is way more secure than the way it was previously working.
- The WFN Console still requires an admin account as well.