Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 19.09.14 changelog:
- Added the option Play After Open (default on) to the playlist menu to control above behavior.
- Added multi-select to Playlist as welll as Select All (Ctrl+Shift+A) and Select None (Ctrl+Shift+D) to its menu.
- Added multi-select to Timeline, which is currently limited to the remove/delete and lift operations.
- Added Select All (Ctrl+A) and Select None (Ctrl+D) to the Timeline menu.
Added keyboard shortcuts for some existing Timeline menu actions:
- Insert Track (Ctrl+Alt+I)
- Remove Track (Ctrl+Alt+U)
- Copy Timeline to Source (Ctrl+Alt+C)
Added new video filters:
- Elastic Scale (non-linear horizontal scaling)
- Blend Mode (overrides the track Properties > Blend mode for that clip)
- Added a Galician translation.
- Fixed a crash in some audio filters when using 1 or 6 channels.
- Fixed showing language English (Great Britain) when English (United States) is chosen.
- Fixed a crash bug in v19.06 when changing image sequence Repeat in Properties.
- Fixed a bug in v19.08 where dropping a video into Playlist on a new project does not update the Automatic Video Mode.
- Fixed a bug in v19.08 in the on-screen rectangle control (as used in Text: Simple and Size and Position filters among a few others).
- Fixed changing speed of a clip with a colon in the file name.
- Fixed reading MLT XML with a colon in the file name of a relative path.
- Fixed the playlist menu button disabled after removing all clips.
- Fixed reloading Fade In Video or Fade Out Video using opacity may alter the colors.
- Fixed Convert to Edit-friendly failing on GoPro videos.
- Fixed filters during a transition are truncated after a Split on the timeline.
- Fixed a bug in v19.08 where Keyframes becomes broken after trimming on the timeline.
- Reduced the size of the installation by 255 MiB (by removing share/mlt/lumas/*.pgm and computing them on-demand).
- Upgraded FFmpeg to v4.2.
- Increased export process priority on Windows from Low (idle) to Below Normal.
- Changed default HEVC quality to 45% so the x265 crf matches its default of 28.
- Added the clip's name to the end of a clip in Timeline if its block is wide enough.
- No longer seek after dropping a clip from the player to the Timeline.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware