Play torrents instantly without downloading
WebTorrent is a streaming torrent client that lets you stream torrents, available for Linux, Windows and Mac. You don't have to wait for it to finish downloading. WebTorrent Desktop is fast, free, non-commercial & open source. Why? Imagine a peer-to-peer YouTube where viewers help to host the site's content. By making BitTorrent easier to use, we can get more people to participate and take the first steps to re-decentralizing the Internet.
WebTorrent Desktop connects to both BitTorrent and WebTorrent peers. It can talk to peers running Transmission or uTorrent, and it can also talk to web pages like instant.io. WebTorrent Desktop can also stream torrents to AirPlay, Chromecast, and DLNA.
- Lightweight, fast torrent app
- Beautiful user experience
- Free, non-commercial, ad-free, and open source
- Instantly stream video and audio
- WebTorrent fetches file pieces from the network on demand for instant playback.
- Even when the file isn't fully downloaded, seeking still works.
- (Seeking just reprioritizes which pieces are fetched from the network.)
- Stream videos to AirPlay, Chromecast, and DLNA
- Based on the most popular and comprehensive torrent package in Node.js, webtorrent
- Full-featured, but bloat free
- Opens magnet links and .torrent files
- Drag-and-drop makes adding or creating torrents easy
- Discovers peers via tracker servers, DHT (Distributed Hash Table), and peer exchange
- Supports the WebTorrent protocol for connecting to WebRTC peers (i.e. web browsers)
WebTorrent Desktop 0.20.0 changelog:
Added support for additional audio extensions: 'aiff', 'ape', 'mp2', 'oga', 'opus', 'wma'
Displaying filename while music metadata is being downloaded
Improved the poster selection for audio/music based torrents
Launch VLC player without the --video-on-top flag
- Fix silently failing to open magnets links on Linux