What was the last movie you watched? (2014 Edition)

Robocop 2014.

4/10

The suit is awesome, but the whole story is too dumbed down comparing it to the original. Lacks blood, violence, gore and bad words. It's too simplistic and childish.

Also lacks a true Clarence Boddicker like character.

They should have kept it a rated R movie.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

need-for-speed-poster.jpg

Good car - action movie, but horrible storyline. Kinda reminds me of a crap version of the original The Fast and the Furious. 

Going to give this one a 3/5

OldBoy

6/10

Concept was intriguing, acting superb, unexpected ending.  Nice ass kicking scenes.  Tarantino-ish plot directed by Spike Lee.

Josh Brolin goes into Jason Statham mode.

Watch the original by Chan-wook Park. This Spike Lee version is a complete travesty.

post-69836-0-95920200-1397381879.jpg

Snowpiercer

A darker than black, visually magnificent, dystopian tale of man's inhumanity, of all the worst and most insane things someone could do out of selfishness and desire to survival.

This is a movie like Terry Gilliam's Brazil: it is a bleak, harrowing story, that is difficult to escape unharmed emotionally.

Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans are exceptional in that movie.

9.5/10

It's also Joon-ho Bong's (another great South Korean writer-director) first English movie. He's top notch. Go watch "Salinui chueok" and "Madeo" if you haven't already. You'll love them.

pHpppLn.jpg

Imagine if you took a Taken script written by Luc Besson, cast Kevin Costner in it, but removed all of the violence, added way too much comic relief and made the plot dumb enough for it's PG13 rated audience to follow. Wait, we're not done. Then give it to a guy that has a reputation as a terrible filmmaker (We Are Marshall was a bad movie but it had too much "feel good feeling" to be called out as such. He's an OK TV director) that throws away every good cast member that he roped into this travesty, add some "feel good" magic that mends years of abandonment and neglect, and BAM!, 3 Days to Kill. Give it a miss, you won't regret it.

eeuConp.jpg

Quite possibly the next best movie this year behind 'The Lego Movie', and 'Captain America 2'. 
Lego - 10/10
Cap 2 - 9/10

The Machine? - 9/10 as well. This movie is really amazing. 

eeuConp.jpg

Quite possibly the next best movie this year behind 'The Lego Movie', and 'Captain America 2'. 

Lego - 10/10

Cap 2 - 9/10

Caity Lotz :wub:

I read about this and it sounded interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'm certainly going to check it out now. (Y)

TheDebt_Quad.jpg

I watched this for the second time yesterday, my mum watching it for the first time. Great film, I can't think of anything in particular to call it out on other than Ciar?n Hinds not being on-screen for longer.

7/10 for me.

5FIKYsb.jpg

Darren Aronofsky had a great movie in his hands but couldn't commit enough to his vision so he ended up with something else. Some things drag out for way too long, which is crazy since the movie is only 138 minutes, and when you get to the good part, it's over in a flash. Instead of a new Black Swan, we get The Fountain all over again :/

fCTBIJu.jpg

This is a love story, but brilliantly done! This movie brings up a lot of feelings and the end is mind blowing: 9/10

Since I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks, I decided to pick my pile of shame of movies I have not seen even after buying the Dvd/blu ray, so it is likely that the films I am going to review are old but I am going to do one per day.

So let's start

post-69836-0-74437400-1398498858.jpg

Pacific Rim [2013]

In terms of visual effects, this is a fabulous feast: I do not think there is a movie who reached that level of detail in CGI scenes. There will be one someday, I am sure but as of now, it is just the most jaw dropping film I have seen.

After that, this is the GREATEST WORST MOVIE EVER!

• The characters are caricatures of stereotypes: shy Japanese girl bent on revenge for her family, check, Australian/English 2nd rate bully, check, crazy scientists, check, commander in chief with a stick in his butt, check, cocky American pilot, check
  • The narrative is completely transparent: you know what is going to happen because the plots twists can been seen coming from miles away. The moment you see a character, you will know what is going to happen to them
  • The rules of physics and scale are not broken, they are mauled, slaughtered, annihilated.
  • The scenario is a ratatouille: giant alien monsters coming from some sort of wormholes in the Pacific are battling giant robots built by all the countries around: it's Godzilla meets Independence Day meets Evangelion

It is ridiculous, terminally clich?-ed worse than Robocop 3, Top Gun or Stealth but somehow, there is some magic that made me glued to the screen and I laughed and enjoyed that movie a lot.

8.5/10

• Like 2

After that, this is the GREATEST MOVIE EVER!

Fixed that for you. Pacific Rim is AWESOME. Keeping my fingers crossed for a prequel based exclusively on the Mark I Jaegers.

• Like 2

And now for something totally different ...

post-69836-0-74601000-1398526201.jpg

Frozen [2013]

As much as I previously disliked Planes, I enjoyed this one much more. This is a very good family movie for people from all ages.

Animations is flawless, musical parts are perfectly executed, characters are attaching, story is well written.

8.5/10 (- 0.5 because I have 'for the first time in forever' stuck in my head)