For the Office team at Microsoft, it has been an eventful morning. Microsoft has launched Office 365 globally and now the download links for SP1 for Office 2010 are now live.
The download, (courtesy of user Mephistopheles) can be found in both 32 bit and 64 bit variety (see below). This is the first major service pack for the Office 2010 platform and represents a significant milestone for the platform.
The service pack will act as a roll-up of all the previous bug and feature fixes. For many corporations, the first service pack acts as a milestone for installation. While the product has been on the market for several quarters, some corporations will wait until the first service pack is released before rolling out the new platform to thousands of employees. We can expect over the next several months wider corporate adoption now that the service pack has been released.
The service pack update will address the following items:
- Outlook fixes an issue where “Snooze Time” would not reset between appointments.
- The default behavior for PowerPoint "Use Presenter View" option changed to display the slide show on the secondary monitor.
- Integrated community content in the Access Application Part Gallery.
- Better alignment between Project Server and SharePoint Server browser support.
- Improved backup / restore functionality for SharePoint Server
- The Word Web Application extends printing support to “Edit Mode.”
- Project Professional now synchronizes scheduled tasks with SharePoint task lists.
- Internet Explorer 9 “Native” support for Office Web Applications and SharePoint
- Office Web Applications Support for Chrome
- Inserting Charts into Excel Workbooks using Excel Web Application
- Support for searching PPSX files in Search Server
- Visio Fixes scaling issues and arrowhead rendering errors with SVG export
- Proofing Tools improve spelling suggestions in Canadian English, French, Swedish and European Portuguese.
- Outlook Web Application Attachment Preview (with Exchange Online only)
Microsoft Office is a product that is used around the world by millions of individuals every day. The product is Microsofts crown jewel of productivity software and Office 2010 will only get better with each service pack release.