VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC plays absolutely anything. It supports an enormous number of multimedia formats, and does not require you to download additional codecs. VLC features a complete streaming server, with extended features like video on demand, on-the-fly transcoding, granular speed controls, frame-by-frame advancement and more. It can also be used as a server for unicast or multicast streams in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
VLC Media Player now features fully customizable toolbars, customizable Skins, supports playback for broken files as well as zipped files, and so much more.
Changes between 2.2.1 and 2.2.2:
- Fix SetupFormat for continuous framesize in v4l2
- Fix off-by-one buffer overflow in RealRtsp module
- Fix screen recording aspect-ratio, framerate and potential crash
- Fix Windows directshow input freeze
- Fix MMS segmentation fault/abort when server forces a large allocation
- Fix support for ms-dvr files
- Fix time detection in AVI files over HTTP
- HLS: fix hang on stop, crashes and small improvements
- Fix mp4 NULL dereference reported by by Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs
- Fix regression for VC-1 in WMV
- Fix MXF crashes on stop
- Fix EAC3 detection in some TS files
- Fix importing surface from main memory in VDPAU
- Fix possible double-free in ADPCM decoder
- Support 9-bit and 10-bit GBR planar formats
- Support GoToMeeting 2 and GoToMeeting 3 codecs
- Fix crash in teletext (zvbi) decoder
- Fix Bluray subtitles (PGS) timestamps
There are literally hundreds of other improvements, so check out the release notes for more details.