Claws Mail is an email client aiming at being fast, easy-to-use and powerful. It is mostly desktop-independent, but tries to integrate with your desktop as best as possible. The Claws Mail developers try hard to keep it lightweight, so that it should be usable on low-end computers without much memory or CPU power.
Claws Mail sports almost everything a perfect email client needs. Mail retrieval over POP3, IMAP4, local mbox, over SSL; support for various authentication schemes. It has multiple accounts and mailboxes, powerful filtering and search functionality, import/export capabilities using a number of formats, support for GnuPG (digital signatures and encryption). It supports plugins, customisable toolbars, spell checking, a number of guards to prevent any data loss, per-folder preferences, and much more. A list of features can be found here.
Formerly known as Sylpheed-Claws, it started in April 2001 as the development version of Sylpheed, where new features could be tested and debugged, but evolved enough to now be a completely separate program. It forked completely from Sylpheed in August 2005.
Claws Mail 22.214.171.124 changelog:
- Preferences: for the 'default selection on entering a folder' on the Display/Summaries page, the first new, first unread, and first marked message options are now sort-order aware.
- Preferences: the previously hidden preference to 'Warn when sending to more recipients than ' has been added to the Mail Handling/Sending page.
- Preferences: Toolbars/Compose window: Sign/Encrypt toggle buttons can been added to the toolbar.
- Preferences: Fancy Plugin: allow stylesheet file/folder names to have spaces in them.
- Account Preferences: a 'Show password' checkbox has been added next to the password fields.
- Account Preferences: the OpenPGP and S/MIME preferences have been split into two separate pages.
- Account Preferences: newline characters are disallowed in account usernames and passwords, and warnings are shown to the user if this is attempted.
- Compose: more UTF-8 list-item characters have been added.
- Address book: a 'Show password' checkbox has been added next to the LDAP server 'bind password' field.
- GPG: full key/signature fingerprints are now shown instead of the short versions.
- SSL Certificate Manager: added support for ipv6 addresses. [full release notes]
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware