Fences is a program that helps you organize your desktop. It can hide icons when they are not in use as well as make it easy to place icons into moveable groups called "fences". Fences popularity has been driven by its capability to help users easily organize cluttered PC desktops by automatically grouping and sorting icons, shortcuts and files into managed fenced areas controlled by the user's custom settings. Fences 2.1 eliminates desktop clutter with adjustable fenced areas that organizes desktop objects into logical groups for quick access.
New and improved in Fences version 2.1:
- New: Persistent fences (and their icons) across pages
- New: Network drive connection detection. Fences will attempt to recreate mapped folder locations on a reboot.
- New: Page indicator. Skinnable via editing graphics in Images folder.
- New: Added ability to reset appearance of All Fences
- Fixed: Recycle bin jumps out of Fence
- Fixed: Right click actions make files jump into the same fence
- Fixed: Unable to move portal fence if title is off
- Fixed: “Sort by” appears twice for folder fences with labels hidden
- Fixed: icons would fall out of fence when ran if partially hidden
- Fixed: You can no longer page onto blank screens (unless dragging an icon or a fence).
- Fixed: When dragging a fence to a new page, you no longer endlessly scroll to new pages if you stay on the edge.
- New option visible in FolderView pane when Aero is disabled: "Display incompatibility warning when Aero is disabled".
- Can also toggle via registry - "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Stardock\Fences\Tips\NeverWarnAboutAero" = 0x00000001 (DWORD 32bit)