A massive Sea of Thieves content update is slated for later this month and its teaser trailer landed just a couple of days ago. But, Rare isn't backing down from continuing its weekly patches for the game, with today's 1.1.7 update bringing a variety of bug fixes and some hints at what's to come.
Starting off, the old storyteller Merry Merrick from the Hungering Deep update has left some more of his lore books laying around for players to find while exploring. These books are filled with recaps of memorable adventures that players had when they were hunting the massive megalodon last month.
Also, something to keep in mind from now on is that pennant flags on vessels won't change whenever pirates pull up a flag on their ship's main mast. This could be related to the crew alliance mechanic that Rare will be implementing with the Cursed Sails event.
The studio also teased that a special new item will be arriving to in-game stores soon that could be "killer." Something that will supposedly "surprise new and old customers alike."
In addition to resolving connection instability issues that caused Alabasterbeard errors, Rare has quite a few fixes issues this update:
- Changes to pirate appearance (such as hair colour / scars) have been reverted to their initial selection.
- Messages in Bottles will no longer spawn on top of one another.
- The correct animation now appears when repairing holes in a ship.
- Textures of the Sea Dog Jacket now appear as intended.
- Caged Pigs and Chickens no longer get the cannonball impact decal applied to them if dropped on to one
- Players can no longer drop crates behind the clothing and equipment chest on the Sloop.
- It is no longer possible to clip through the Kraken tentacle when it is wrapped around a ship.
- Cursed Mermaid Statues have been increased to match the intended model scale.
- Viewing textures on Plunder Valley from long distances no longer displays gaps in the terrain.
- It is no longer possible to get permanently stuck in the half submerged ship on Plunder Valley .
- Athena's Fortune Bounty Quests are no longer incorrectly blank.
- The Legendary Gunpowder Title has been removed from the Bilge Rat progression UI due to it incorrectly tracking progress. The Title is currently available to players through the Bilge Rat shop once all 3 Legendary Gunpowder Skeleton Commendations have been completed.
There are still some known issues that are being worked on as well:
- The Gunpowder Plot Commendation and its Legendary Commendation counterpart may not unlock.
- The Hungering Deep rewards were not received by a number of players who earned them.
We are investigating a resolution for this and will share information when available.
- Some Skeleton Thrones Titles were not correctly awarded to players who completed the required Commendations.
- Some players travel in an unintended direction when fired from a cannon.
- Some players may continue to hear muffled sound after being fired from a cannon.
We have reports that being fired out of a cannon again clears the muffled sound.
- The UI and pirates in the 'Select Your Pirate' carousel may not be visible for some players.
We have reports that the UI and pirates become visible after a few minutes.
- Pirates created between Patch 1.1.6 and 1.1.7 may experience a change in their hair colour.
The update weighs 700MB for those on the Xbox One while players on Windows 10 PCs will see the download be 1.46GB. Also, don't forget that the current Bilge Rat Adventure that involves smashing mermaid statues still has a week left before it stops giving out Doubloon rewards.
Sea of Thieves is available for purchase via the Microsoft Store as an Xbox Play Anywhere title, which is currently discounted to $47.99, and it is also playable via the Xbox Game Pass subscription program.