After months of beta testing, Essential announced and released its official update to Android 8.1 Oreo for the PH-1 in March. While this was certainly good news for many owners, those that purchased the handset through Sprint and Telus have not seen the update and have been forced to wait a little while longer. Luckily, for those on Sprint, the wait is now over, as Essential has announced via Twitter that the update is available.
The update, which can be downloaded over-the-air (OTA), will come in as build OPM1.180104.141 and will include a variety of new features that are built into Android Oreo.
Per the update notes, new features include:
- Smart text selection, instant apps, picture-in-picture
- Faster startup and app sign-in
- Google Play Protect security scans
The update will also include some additional improvements from Essential like:
- Google Security Patches 2018-03 & 2018-04
- Dynamic Calendar and Clock icons
- Slow Scrolling Jitter Fix
- Bluetooth 5.0 certified
- Modem stability fixes
- Improved performance and bug fixes
- Proper handling of external game controllers
If you have yet to see the update arrive automatically, be patient, as it is rolling out OTA. You can also try performing the update manually by heading to the settings menu.