The annoying Windows 10 upgrade offer gets personified in manga form

When Windows 10 was released almost a year ago, it was offered as a free upgrade to existing Windows 7 and 8.1 installations. However, while it may seem like a sweet, innocent offer to users, this has not been the case, with the 'Get Windows 10' app constantly updating to force users into upgrading to Microsoft's latest operating system. For instance, a meteorologist from KCCI had her weather report disturbed by the nagging app, asking her to upgrade while she was predicting the weather. Another issue was when a Windows 10 update put an end to a 9-hour Twitch live stream, much to the gamer's horror.

With this in consideration, Twitter user @ponzholic has been very well aware of the issue, and has actually drawn a short yet accurate manga regarding frustrations with Windows 10, entitled "Windows 10-chan’s upgrade methods are escalating" (translations by Rocket News 24).

1. It Starts Off Innocent

Windows 10-chan: “Do you want to upgrade to Windows 10? It’s free!”
Me: “Eh, I appreciate the thought, but the software I use isn’t compatible with 10, so I’ll say no for now.”
Windows 10-chan: “Oh… okay….”

2. Things Start to Get Weird

Windows 10-chan: “Do you want to upgrade to Windows 10 now? Or do you want to upgrade later?”
Me: “Uh, wait a minute, are those my only two options? That’s like asking ‘Do you want rice with your meal, or would you prefer your meal with rice?'”

3. A Line Has Been Crossed

Windows 10-chan: “So will we upgrade now? Or… tonight?”
Me: “No! Stop with these meaningless choices! I don’t want to upgrade at all!”
Windows 10-chan: “Don’t worry… everyone else is doing it….”
Me: “That’s just because you’re forcing them to!”

4. The Point of No Return

Windows 10-chan: “Don’t worry, master! I scheduled an upgrade for you!”
Me: “What?! What are you doing?! Cancel! Where is the cancel button?!”

5. Too Late

Windows 10-chan: “The deed is done.”
(Windows 7’s blood on sword)
Me: “Nooo!! Stooop it!!”

While the manga got a little too creepy when it comes to personifying the Windows 10 upgrade process, we can say it is quite accurate in expressing how frustrating it can be to deal with an offer that keeps getting shoved into our faces, and even growing more clingy as time goes on. We can only advise to users affected to keep their cool when prompted with this nagware, and take the measures necessary deciding on whether to take up on the Windows 10 upgrade offer or not.

Source: @ponzholic, Rocket News 24 | Manga images via @ponzholic

20160508_191236
Next Article

Kindle Oasis 3G review: the best Kindle that $360 can buy

gamelibrary1
Previous Article

This Weekend's PC Game Deals: The best spring sales have been saved for last

82 Comments - Add comment

Comments are closed

The comments on this article have been closed by our moderators. Further discussion about this article can be done so on our forums.

Visit our forums »

I had 3 calls in the last 2 days people saying "Windows 10 installed itself" ... then I explain to them they probably thought the "Later button" meant ask me later.

One stayed with Windows 10. The other 2 wanted to roll back to Windows 7.

One stayed with Windows 10. The other 2 wanted to roll back to Windows 7.

Thats been what I've been seeing as well. under 40% want it or stay on it ( might be even closer to 20%, but I haven't traced it that well ). I had one friend that tried it for 2 months, but he just couldn't stand it. I had made a cold backup of his Windows 7 before the upgrade and he was willing to lose everything for the last two months to get rid of 10 ( i backed up documents and such but game progress he lost and he was still happy just to have it gone ).

One stayed with Windows 10. The other 2 wanted to roll back to Windows 7.

Our shop had three customers that had unwanted Windows 10 installs done this past week. One stayed with Windows 10 after we went out and reset the file shares beck to what they were with Windows 7 Pro. The second I talked through the rollback and suggested they uncheck the box in Windows 7's Update settings that installs Recommended updates when done.

The third had a more serious issue as the six year old computer did not have Windows 10 drivers for many of the components. The SSD system with 12-GB RAM ran slower than a Celeron with 512-MB of RAM running Windows Vista 32-bit. Too bad Microsoft is auto-installing even on systems where it doesn't have drivers available. Sure, one could spend the time and money to make it work. But, when the Anniversary update gets auto-installed the driver issues are very likely to return. Sure, we made some extra money. But, the end users that aren't geeks suffer and pay the cost of getting back to where they were.

For the past two days I have had to go to two different business that have been shutdown due to the forced upgrade to windows 10. Just got a call from another just a minute ago. I know of part of a hospital that had several of their machines upgrade. All of these were forced by MS. Many of the machines use software and hardware that is not compatible with 10 but they were forced to run the update. Class action lawsuit?

Businesses such as a hospital are supposed to have all their computers get updates through the Servicing Branch and will not get any sort of messages to upgrade.

Agreed. If you're supporting businesses and they're getting the W10 upgrade prompt, you're doing I.T. wrong.

He didn't say he was their corporate IT guy. He did say he helped get them back in business, which a long distant IT department can't do as fast as a local person can.

2 minutes ago, cadprofessor said:

More like class act. I find this all very unlikely. We would have heard from more businesses instead of just now.

Self published works like these are called doujin, not manga. Nine portrayal though. Windows 10 chan, the perfect yandere love interest.

24 minutes ago, cadprofessor said:

This is due to a bad admin/IT not utilizing WSUS and/or not utilizing GPO practices.

It's easy to throw out terms like "class action lawsuit" when you don't know how they work or what that entails.

BTW, this is FPN....? seriously?

Edited by xendrome, May 21 2016, 4:04pm :

Perfect, cartoons for the ones who have a reading comprehension problem.. If you got bit by the Windows upgrade push, It's your own fault for not reading what is right in front of you. This doujin shows that nicely..

6 minutes ago, JoseyWales said:

principle of the thing. There should be a GIANT button that says "I do not want windows 10"

27087731421_c39fbfc236_o.jpg

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 5:40pm :

Yeah maybe they should think about putting a giant red 'X' on the top right hand corner of every window, maybe one that closes out any window it is placed on. Even better if they thought to do this several decades ago so that pretty much every computer user would be accustomed to it by now.

1 hour ago, cadprofessor said:

I too find this unlikely. Businesses shouldn't be setup to receive updates straight from MS, and if they are it isn't MS's fault they weren't configured with SCCM.

It's called horrible IT support/management, Especially for a "hospital" They deserve the problems they get for not properly paying for/supporting their infrastructure.

@Xendrome stated it clearly that this is bad IT support that caused all the problems at that hospital. If they had done the installation for Windows, and setup as an organization or enterprise, then they would never have gotten any upgrade message.

Heck they are supposed to be paying for the upgrade.

To anyone interested: If you reach the point where it starts the install (such as in the last panel), you can actually use Ctrl+C to stop it and you'll just be back to the way you were.

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

BTW, this is FPN....? seriously?

Of course it is. Contention = clicks.

I guess this shows how MS views the user's desires. Software should facilitate what the user wants as much as possible, and that's it.

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Most of my family is on Windows 7. The only ones who aren't are by choice. I have not touched the remaining family member's machines to prevent Windows 10. So we really shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and believe the BS that MS is forcing Windows 10 on people.

The only thing MS is at fault for is underestimating those with Mad Clicking disease.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 7:22pm :

Most of my family is on Windows 7. The only ones who aren't are by choice. I have not touched the remaining family member's machines to prevent Windows 10. So we really shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and believe the BS that MS is forcing Windows 10 on people.

One of the PC's that we worked on this past week was a Windows 10 Pro PC that was begin used in a small office as a file server. It had been on and running perfectly for years. No one uses it directly. Yet, Windows 10 installed itself overnight with no one around. It happens.

Just now, warwagon said:

Microsoft knows very well the average user isn't that smart. If they really cared they would have given them a button, so they wouldn't have even gotten that far.

Heck, lets make it all fisher price and hold everyone's hand through their computing experience because they aren't that smart...

Just now, adrynalyne said:

Yep. That box in the screenshot above, showed they already scheduled the update. Yes they have a link for them to cancel it, but there should have been a big button so it never even scheduled it.

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:30pm :
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Only if you are blind and stupid.

I know reading is hard for people, but come on. Top to bottom, left to right, those little symbols are called letters and they form words.

True but the reason it was even set to install in the first place was the only options they gave the user was install now or install later.

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:10pm :
Just now, warwagon said:

It doesn't even show up unless you decide to click on it and activate it. Again, I have computer illiterate family that don't have this problem.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 8:39pm :
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

So how exactly do you explain it never happening to my family who are decidedly less computer literate than the average squirrel?

People will do anything to be an Internet star.

Really doubt windows 10 would be getting installed this much if you actually had to click the icon on the taskbar to actually bring up the install options.

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:42pm :
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

We have already established from others testing here that it doesn't activate until you actually start the process.  Your doubt isn't really relevant. "This much" is not actually that much in the greater scheme of things.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 8:02pm :
Just now, warwagon said:

I disagree. I think periodically that box appears on it's own.

It isn't my concern whether you agree or not. My mother would be ripping my head off it was happening to her. Same with my aunt. Same with my cousins. Same with my wife. None of them want Windows 10.

I've heard nothing. Well no. One aunt came to me and asked me to do the upgrade. An uncle asked me to fix the aftermath of a bad upgrade. They both knew what they were getting into.

8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ok now this is funny. So I put in my Windows 7 64bit SSD (that I keep up to date. All it is is a clean install of Windows 7) into my all in one machine, to look in the task scheduler to see if there was something in there to make GWX appear. So I turn the computer on and it boots windows 7. I then open the task scheduler and am browsing around and

BAM!!! I never touched the GWX icon in the tray.

27159144575_78ca97665e_c.jpg

LOL

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:37pm :
1 minute ago, warwagon said:

BAM!!!

27159144575_78ca97665e_c.jpg

LOL

How do we know you hadn't activated it before? Serious question? I have NEVER had someone complain to me about that. That leads to two possible conclusions.

Guess what they are.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 8:58pm :
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

How do we know you hadn't activated it before?

Ok we need to get on the same page as far as definitions

Define activated, you mean clicking the GXW control panel icon to activate that window? Or Activate as in Install windows 10 on that computer and activate it?

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:40pm :
2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Ok we need to get on the same page as far as definitions

I think you and I both know that I do not mean install Windows 10. Keeping within context, the first is the only that makes sense. Seeing how that is a drive you removed, how do you know if you it was up and showing when you last used it and it restored the position after reboot? Not at all uncommon.

There are really only two possible conclusions to come of this.

1. You had this screen up before.

or

2. People arent as stupid as you think and have no trouble not installing Windows 10.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 8:31pm :
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

There are really only two possible conclusions to come of this.

1. You had this screen up before.

or

Because it did not come out of hibernation

It was a clean boot.

It was not sleeping because I actually had to physically put the SSD in the computer.

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 8:34pm :
Just now, warwagon said:

Because it did not come out of hibernation

It was a clean boot.

It as not sleeping because I actually had to physically put the SSD in the computer.

A clean boot does not matter. Previously opened windows can be re-opened after a reboot, especially after a windows update.

I never said anything about sleeping or hibernation.

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I never said anything about sleeping or hibernation.

So then I put my Windows 7 pro SSD in turned it on and it popped up saying Windows 10  was already set to install at X date and X time. I NEVER scheduled windows 10 to install on that SSD. So I don't know what that's about. All that ever happens on that ssd is I turned it on once a month and install updates. and turn it off again. It's my master for my sys prep ssd's. So this is very interesting. I don't know it was set to upgrade.

Edited by warwagon, May 21 2016, 9:12pm :
4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

You clearly are only reading half of what I write, so believe what you like.

The rest of us and those with higher than 50 IQ will be just fine not getting Windows 10 forced upon us.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 21 2016, 9:26pm :

So W10 upgrade is a transvestite going through the stages of a sex change and if you don't accept its transformation, it'll do so anyway before stabbing you right after once the full change is complete; if one were to just look at the pictures alone.

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

No, it should obviously be a lot simpler. Complaints and gaffes related to this make the news regularly. You'd have to be ignorant to think this doesn't require revision and streamlining.

5 minutes ago, seeprime said:

Because someone triggered it. It is not spontaneously installing.

13 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I don't think you are using the word ignorant correctly. Just saying.

I don't think it is me who is ignorant.

9 hours ago, warwagon said:

One stayed with Windows 10. The other 2 wanted to roll back to Windows 7.

yeah, they can do a roll back in a month. if they do it within 30 days, MS asks why are you rolling back and you can type something or just hit the rollback and then when it finishes, use the various utilities to kill the upgrade reminder.

Indeed, it has nothing to do with a lack of reading comprehension, just the lack of a "do not want" feature. For me, it should work in the same way as the ignore function in forums.

26 minutes ago, monkeylove said:

Ironically if you read, there are plenty of ways to express "Do not want".

So yeah, reading ftw.

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Because someone triggered it. It is not spontaneously installing.

You are completely wrong about this. No one directly uses the PC in question. No one had directly used this "file server" nor paid any attention to it until they couldn't access the files from other computers. The file server is in a managers office that people do not have access to. This is not the first PC we've seen this happen to where no one triggered the upgrade. You seem convinced that MS's upgrade system is somehow perfect and relies solely on user intervention.  You may believe that someone sabotages it, or that an animal crawled on the keyboard and okayed the installation. That didn't happen.  Once we worked on it and saw what caused their lack of connectivity, we decided to keep Windows 10 on it and not roll it back. Nothing wrong with Windows 10 itself on the computer. It installed and changed the shares on the network, making it inaccessible. The computer was and is password protected. This really happened "all by itself".  It was an easy enough thing to fix. But, it should not have happened in the  first place.

25 minutes ago, seeprime said:

Prove me wrong. Provide me the steps to reproduce these spontaneous installs.

I wonder how many installs of Windows 10 there would be if not for this invasive nagware that also modifies the Windows Update client to add its nags into it. Microsoft deliberately made it non-user friendly to disable GWX and they know it. And it worked given Windows 10's massive install numbers.It was a wildly successful campaign so expect more of the same.

If they truly cared about user choice they would've made it easier to disable or at least once the user hides the specific KB update containing GWX it does not get shown again. They disguised it as an update when it should've been kept as a non-recommended update with an explicit title.

Thankfully on Windows 8.1 Enterprise I didn't even have to bother setting "1" for the DWORD DisableGWX registry entry. I don't even think the GWX KB "update" was even offered for Enterprise. So my WU client remains umolested and there's no GWX garbage running out-of-box and even after installing all updates. But a typical user isn't going to be using Enterprise.

Enterprise is truly the no BS edition of Windows. Especially for Windows 10 where the classic good calculator is included and there's less UWP trashware installed during the OOBE "Hi!" screen like Candy Crush Saga.  Oh and on that note, I think it is extremely moronic for any software including first party Windows software to block CTRL-ALT-DEL usage. At the very least they should allow the Shift-F10 shortcut to be used to spawn a command prompt during the useless "Hi" screen in case something went wrong and you need to open MMC and snap-in the Event Viewer to find out why it went wrong.

Edited by DeusProto, May 22 2016, 3:19am :

If you aren't smart enough to preven Windows 10 from installing on your computer, you probably should be running the latest and most secure OS; Preferably running only sandboxed UWP apps...

Yep,

Have rolled back several computers to Windows 7 over the last couple months and am getting very sick of having to hide that stupid update! :x

When the GWX icon showed up in my task-bar notifications area I had to click it and tell it to run the compatibility test to even get as far as it asking me IF I wanted to upgrade So did they change it to automatically run when it installed and now only gives you the option of Now or at Some time later

that's awesome. my wife's computer just had the update installed without warning. came home from work, it's at the win10 setup screen.

now i have the pleasure of trying to get her remote access working or rolling back to 8.1. thanks microsoft!

What happened? With 8.1 you had to go with the Windows Store to upgrade, something I never did, for anyone. I purchased my PCs with 8.1 installed and they are doing just fine with classic shell start and a bit of other third party lifting thank you. Since Windows 10 has no base line I will defer it until such time as it actually does. Thank heaven they do not have the only kernel in the game. If you can hack one of my devises, you can hack them all. How is that for convenience?

I love how unapologetic Microsoft and the fan base here is. Not an ounce of actual concern for people and businesses that are disrupted by this.

Not everyone is a computer nerd typing snarky dribble to defend their favorite corporation. Among the myriad of professionals that most here don't have the first clue or appreciation for are people that are actually stupid, so it's OK to take advantage of stupid people now? How about I trick your grandma into giving me her life savings? Deflower you little sister? Instead, how about we protect those that aren't that bright instead of laughing at them? Nah, more fun to just mock everyone and defend a clearly overly aggressive tactic about the one piece of software most people depend on. It's simply not OK.

1 hour ago, Hahaiah said:

I'm not laughing at anyone. It's time some people take responsibility for their actions however.

I'd say the same if this was Apple or any other company. In IT, you don't get to play ignorant and not get called on it. If there are sensitive souls getting their feelings hurt here, well that's how this world works. Sorry.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 22 2016, 6:21pm :
1 hour ago, Hahaiah said:

I consider myself retarded vs many neowinians. I depend on them a lot to make sure I survive. they can get testy at times, probably because they see people do some of the absolutely dumbest things on a daily basis. Whether or not they're MS pimps or prostitutes (not literally but figuratively speaking) is irrelevant. not everyone is on the same level of competence but whether they bash me for something stupid I do or not, doesn't bother me because there are ALWAYS those friendly Neowinians who are happy to help us less fortunate.

The one that I don't get is on one of my PC's it says It can't do it due to video card incompatibility, however, it keeps prompting me to upgrade. I mean they should have a my computer won't run it option and to not remind me again.

I bought my laptop in october 2015, and after latest updates from MS's on Windows 7 the OS kind of broke. Blue screens / Driver restarts(Driver has stopped responding....issue) / Freezes, so I jumped to Window 10. A sad day...at least it's free of charge for the upgrade.

Good thing I have Ubuntu for my daily use and Windows only for games.

On 5/22/2016 at 0:41 AM, adrynalyne said:

I don't think you are using the word ignorant correctly. Just saying.

I don't think it is me who is ignorant.

Certainly it was hyperbolic, if you want to be pedantic, but nonetheless it requires some amount of aversion to reality to believe that the process is properly serving users.

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

On the flip side, it requires someone to be truly "special" to not realize that not all of this is the doing of MS. MS can and should improve it for sure, but there are not spontaneous installs. Everyone who claims they exist has yet to give me instructions on how to reproduce. That leads me to believe that people are making BS up to cover their posteriors.

This will all be a moot point soon anyway.

Edited by adrynalyne, May 24 2016, 3:27pm :