In May this year, Disney announced that it was shutting down its Infinity lineup of games and figures and exiting game development altogether. Now, the company has confirmed this move once again, and has even provided a timeline to inform users about the exact time frame regarding the closure of its popular sandbox title Disney Infinity 3.0.
Nearly all gaming platforms have been affected to some extent, including PC, consoles and smartphones. According to the company, Disney Infinity 3.0 will be removed from PC, iOS, Apple TV, Google Android and Amazon Android app stores and users will no longer be able to log in to play them from September 30, 2016. However, Windows 8.1 and 10 versions will have a slightly longer lifespan and will no longer be available after March 3, 2017. The full timeline regarding the closure on each platform is as follows:
As of July 29, 2016
• No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed.
• You can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
As of September 30, 2016
• You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores.
• The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued.
• Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore.
• The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017.
As of January 3, 2017
• No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed.
As of March 3, 2017
• Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable.
• All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued.
With that being said, Disney has clarified that progress saved before March 3, 2017 will remain unaffected on consoles even after online services are discontinued. Similarly, all Toy Boxes currently saved to the cloud will no longer be available after the aforementioned date. If you want to continue playing with these Toy Boxes, the company recommends that you download them directly to your console’s local profile before March 3, 2017.
Update: A title for an earlier version of this article incorrectly implied that the game will be unplayable on all platforms after March 2017. The title has now been updated for clarity. We sincerely apologize for the inadvertent mistake and regret the oversight.