Streaming media company Netflix has signed a deal with the Disney-ABC Television Group that will bring streaming content from ABC, Disney, and ABC Family to Netflix customers. Also included with the vast number of television shows are a series of popular Disney Channel and ABC Family movies.
In November, Netflix announced a brand new streaming-only plan for their media service. Since then, the company has been focused on the streaming side of their operations. With the new business direction, Netflix has also been in talks with television and movie groups to bring more streaming content to Netflix's users.
The deal with Disney and ABC brings prior seasons of Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and Brothers & Sisters, as well as other relevant programming from the television company. Relevant programming will be made available to Netflix no earlier than 15 days after the original telecast, but once it is available it will be placed for instant streaming.
In the Netflix press release, they want to specifically note these five points of interest that come from the new deal:
- Prior season episodes of current ABC hit series "Grey's Anatomy," "Desperate Housewives" and, for the first time on Netflix, "Brothers & Sisters," all of which are among the network's most successful and popular TV franchises in recent years.
- Every episode of recent ABC favorites "Lost" and "Ugly Betty," the latter making its streaming debut at Netflix.
- Each season of several hit series from ABC Studios, including "Scrubs" and "Reaper," which are both new additions to Netflix.
- A host of content from the Disney Channel, including the hits "Phineas and Ferb" and "Good Luck Charlie," which are also new to Netflix; updated and expanded offerings of "The Suite Life on Deck" and "Wizards of Waverly Place;" and library offerings from the smash hits "Hannah Montana" and "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody."
- A wide range of content from ABC Family, marking the introduction of ABC Family content streaming from Netflix. Included are the hit series "Greek," "Make It or Break It," "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and "Melissa & Joey."
This addition will bring hundreds of television episodes and movies like High School Musical, Avalon High, Camp Rock, Revenge of the Bridesmaids and others from the Disney-ABC Television Group, to the ever-growing online library of streaming content from Netflix.