Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie 1.0.3 Plus / 5.55.3 Classic changes:
added mechanism to hook Win32 system calls on windows 10 and later, this should resolve the issue with Chromium HW acceleration
- Note: this mechanism does not, yet, work for 32 bit applications running under WoW64
- to enable it, add "EnableWin32kHooks=y" to the global ini section, this feature is highly experimental (!)
- the hooks will be automatically applied to Chromium GPU processes
- to force Win32k hooks for all processes in a selected box add "AlwaysUseWin32kHooks=program.exe,y" #1261 #1395
- fixed bug in GetVersionExW making "OverrideOsBuild=..." not working #605 #1426
- fixed issue with some UTF-8 characters when used in the ini file
- fixed isolation issue with Virtual Network Editor #1102
Download: Sandboxie Plus 1.0.3 (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 1.0.3 (32-bit) ~16.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.55.3 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.55.3 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub | Release Notes
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware