Run programs in a sandbox to prevent malware from making permanent changes to your PC.
Sandboxie allows you to run your browser, or any other program, so that all changes that result from the usage are kept in a sandbox environment, which can then be deleted later.
Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation software for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems. It is being developed by David Xanatos since it became open source, before that it was developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea, which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur). It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
Sandboxie is available in two flavors Plus and Classic. Both have the same core components, this means they have the same level of security and compatibility. What's different is the user interface the Plus build has a modern Qt based UI which supports all new features that have been added since the project went open source. The Classic build has the old no longer developed MFC based UI, hence it lacks support for modern features, these features can however still be used when manually configured in the Sandboxie.ini.
Sandboxie Plus / Classic changelog:
- added option to always auto pick the DefautlBox sandbox #959
- -- when this option is enabled the normal behavioure with a box selection dialog can be achived holding down CTRL
- added option to hide boxed form the run in box dialog
- -- usefull to avoidl listing for example insecure compatybility test boxes
- added box options to sys tray #439 #272
- changed default terminate all boxed processes key from Ctrl+Break to Ctrl+Alt+Break #974
- start.exe does no longer link in all that unused MFC code reduced file size form over 2.5MB to below 250KB
- updated the main sandman and tray icon #963
- improved the bov view tree style
- added additional delay and retryes to kmdutill.exe to mitigate issues when unloading the driver #968
- fixed issue with sbiectrl not being properly started after setup #969
- fixed issue with explore sandboxed shell option #972
- fixed issue when running sandman elevated #932
- fixed new box selection dialog showing disabled boxes
- fixed issue updating box active status
- removed Online Armor support as this product is deprecated since 2016
Download: Sandboxie Plus 0.8.7 (64-bit) | Sandboxie Plus 0.8.7 (32-bit) ~15.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Sandboxie 5.50.7 Classic (64-bit) | Sandboxie 5.50.7 Classic (32-bit) ~2.0 MB
View: Sandboxie Website | Sandboxie Plus Home Page | GitHub
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware