Rare's pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves just received its final update of the year, bringing along a very festive mood and gifts to its otherwise dangerous world. The 1.4.1 update also carries some useful changes and a slew of bug fixes.
Even pirates enjoy end-of-year gifts apparently, and that’s why Duke from the Bilge Rats is now offering Gilded Voyages to everyone sailing the seas this December. These special voyages are restricted to one per pirate, but are completely free to claim. While we don't know what sort of treasure these will lead towards, according to Rare, they will yield "high-value rewards."
Alongside new festive decorations across all of the game's outposts, there are also several other changes that have arrived with the update:
- Loading Times - Loading times into the game have been reduced, so pirates now load in to the front end more quickly than before. The pirate selection carousel also loads in more quickly.
- Commendation Progress - Improved UI layout of Commendation details for Bilge Rat Adventures.
- Bone Crusher Cannons - Modified the Bone Crusher Cannons following feedback to improve visibility when aiming.
- Banana Key Binding - The key binding for quick cycling to your bananas has been reset. If you've assigned or customised the button/key that quick cycles to bananas, please reassign this to restore it.
- Commendation Audio - New music and SFX when receiving Commendations.
- Fog Audio - Music and SFX for fog are now triggered earlier.
And now, here's the massive list of bugs that the studio has managed to squash in several areas of the game:
- Dropping a Gunpowder Barrel on a Rowboat attached to the rear of a Sloop will no longer cause it to explode.
- The 'Take All' function now correctly takes Tattered Parchments found in Barrels.
- Players who migrate and subsequently die whilst a voyage is active will no longer lose progress for voyage Commendations.
- The Legendary Lantern now emits a correctly coloured glow.
- Lanterns will no longer refresh the Flame of Fate colour when stowing and unstowing.
- Resolved an issue that prevented Skeleton Forts from despawning when players were engaging with a Skeleton Ship.
- Treasure dropped on the headboard of the Galleon will no longer become stuck in the ship structure and become irretrievable.
- Floating Mermaid Gems will now sink slowly before disappearing rather than disappearing on the surface.
- Mouse button prompts now correctly display the correct buttons to press.
- Resolved nameplate error where lines could be seen above nameplates.
- Resolved erroneous SFX on capstan.
- The intro animation is no longer silent when switching to another full-screen app on Xbox One. The sequence is now skipped when the title loses full-screen visibility.
- "Waiting to set sail" now correctly displays in the lobby when joining a crew.
- Fog is now included in reflections.
- Hunter of Cursed Captains achievement description corrected to require 1000 Skulls to be handed in.
- Fixed a visible gap in the archway of the underground cave at Sailor's Bounty.
- Players no longer get stuck between rocks on the east part of Kraken's Fall.
- Resolved area of mismatched collision on the ground outside the weapon shop at Ancient Spire Outpost.
- Player no longer fall through the ground on the west side of Smuggler's Bay.
- Resolved a chance for players to receive a Lazybeard error when being invited by a player who is in the game.
- Resolved a chance for players to receive Pythonbeard error when getting drunk and wielding items.
There are some known issues that Rare is still investigating as well:
- If you are standing on a Rowboat during a migration you will be teleported to the middle of the world.
- At Kraken Watchtower it can be difficult to grab loot from the shelves inside the vault.
- If you are on the Ferry of the Damned when the Kraken is defeated you will not receive the Commendation progress.
The Sea of Thieves 1.4.1 update is now available and comes in at 2.13GB on Windows 10 PCs and 1.07GB on the Xbox One console family. The next major update to the game, Arena, is slated for early 2019, which will introduce a new competitive treasure hunting mode for PVP orientated players.