Total Commander is a great two-pane file manager replacement for Windows, a program like Windows Explorer to copy, move, or delete files. It includes extra integrated applications like a built-in FTP client with FXP, a renaming tool, a disk space analyzer, a file synchronizer, can pack and unpack files, compare files by content, a quick view panel with bitmap display, HTTP proxy support and more.
Total Commander 9 is compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Total Commander is distributed as shareware with a trial period of 30 days, but will continue to function, with a subscription reminder, after that.
Total Commander features include:
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions
- And many more!
Total Commander 10.50 changelog:
- Files - Create checksum file(s): Support for very fast BLAKE3 hash algorithm
- New option "Finish copying the current file" when aborting copying in the middle of a file
- New command line parameter /P opens parent of the passed path and places cursor on last directory
- Internal content plugin (tc): New fields from id3v1/id3v2/ape/flac/wav/ogg/m4a metadata tags, like Title, Artist etc.
- Unpack ZIP files with Brotli (by Google) compression, mainly used in XPI files
- Synchronize dirs: Show progress when comparing by content also in taskbar icon
- FTPS/HTTPS: Support for OpenSSL 3.0
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] ExecUseContextMenu: set to 1 to open files as if the user right clicked on it and clicked on the default context menu item
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] AlwaysShowAppdata=0 hides Appdata folder when hidden files are not shown
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] FileTipWindowsOnIcon=1 only shows tooltips when the cursor is over the icon (FileTipWindows must also be enabled).
- wincmd.ini [Configuration] CountMarkedInDialog=0 turns off the memory requirement determination in the F5 copy dialog
- Option to always load directory sizes after a directory change, either internally or via 'Everything' tool
- Option to set custom date/time format and separators (Configuration - Options - Tabstops)
- Show total bytes, files and folders to be copied already in F5 copy dialog
- Show transfer speed with mixed units (e.g. x.xx b/M/G/T), configured via [Configuration] SizeTransfer, defaults to value of footer
- Configure extra space around drive button icons via Configuration - Options - Icons
- Dark mode: Option to configure border color (lines between controls)
- Button bar: set the "Tooltip" field to a single space to disable tooltip
- Menu Files - Print - File content now prints all selected files (after a warning)
- On Windows 10 older than 1709 (Fall 2017) and older Windows versions, support thumbnails larger than 240 pixels
- Directory hotlist (Ctrl+D): For add/remove button and Configure, use hotkeys +, - and * (configurable)
- Ctrl+Z on ".." allows to set the comment of the current directory [full release notes]
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware