Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
What's new in Shotcut 20.04.12:
- Added Properties > Speed > Pitch Compensation for automatic pitch correction for speed changes > 0.1x.
- Added a Replace command to Timeline clip menu including blank regions with shortcut R.
- Properties > Reverse now automatically replaces a selected clip on the timeline (or in Source player if using that).
- Added 15 second handles when using Properties > Reverse on a timeline clip. Handles are extra footage before the in point or after the out point. This makes it easier to adjust edits or add transitions around reversed clips.
- Added Properties > Duration > Timeline to show (not editable) the duration of a timeline clip.
- Added a Corner Pin video filter (thanks to @sauron in the forum for the initial effort).
- Added a Properties > Convert button to make Convert to Edit-friendly in the menu more convenient (kept in the menu for now because a number of support tips reference it).
- Properties > Convert now automatically replaces respective clips in Source and Timeline and adds its clip to the Playlist.
- Fixed = in Text: Simple filter ignores all text before the sign (broken in v20.02).
- Fixed a crash when using some video filters with Preview Scaling and multiple video tracks:
- Text: 3D
- Text: HTML
- Fixed Offset X and Y parameters of Rotate and Scale filter with Preview Scaling.
- Fixed video artifacts when using a video for a custom transition and Export > Parallel processing.
- Fixed video artifacts when using the Distort video filter and Export > Parallel processing.
- Fixed video artifacts when using the Rotate and Scale or Size and Position filters, multiple video tracks, and Export > Parallel processing.
- Fixed missing code-signing entitlements for macOS that caused crashes when using the following (broken in v20.02):
- Open Other > Audio/Video Device
- HTML-based video filters:
- Crop: Circle
- Crop: Rectangle
- Text: 3D
- Text: HTML
- Fixed floating or docking some panels may crash on some Linux systems:
- Fixed changing the name of a track in Timeline when leaving the field without pressing Enter.
- Fixed File > Export Frame exports uses Preview Scaling instead of project resolution.
- Fixed switching between Cut and Dissolve in transition properties.
- Fixed project not modified when changing transition properties.
- Fixed pressing Enter in Filters search may open a playlist item.
- Fixed a regression in JACK transport control (broken in v19.12).
- Fixed a missing Timeline track Lock button animation when lock prevents something.
- Fixed clips can be moved to locked timeline tracks (broken in v19.12).
- Fixed treating paths with Windows drive letters as relative on macOS and Linux.
- Fixed automatically relinking filters with HTML files (when app location changes or moving projects).
- Fixed Undo followed by Redo after a Lift or Remove on a transition saves the transition as INVALID.
- Fixed some filters than use external files broken when using network (UNC) paths on Windows:
- LUT (3D)
- Mask: From File
- Text: HTML
- Fixed Filters > Copy & Paste does not keep filter in and out points.
- Fixed opening with a file from the command line on Linux snap or portable.
- Fixed Export can overwrite a source when run from command line.
- Fixed Keyframes previous/next buttons not using the parameter track to which they belong but rather the current track.
- Fixed opening a playlist clip or a new clip breaks filters on Timeline > Master if it is selected.
- Changed Export > Video > Parallel processing to default to OFF but also now it save the state between export jobs and app session.
- Added support for FFmpeg sample_fmt option to Export > Other.
- Automatically disable parallel processing on add-on bigsh0t (360) video filters.
- Stop adding title="Anonymous Submission" to MLT XML.
- Increased the priority of background jobs a little on macOS and Linux (still less than normal).
- Added 448k to Export > Audio > Bitrate.
- Added automatically scroll the Timeline when you double-clock a clip to select-and-seek.
- Updated the mouse wheel behavior in Keyframes to match the changes to Timeline in version 20.02.
- Added an option to place an icon on the Desktop to the Windows installer.
- Add a cursor to the Audio Waveform scope.
- Removed Export > Stream as it is not supportable in its current state.
- Changed shortcuts C and Ctrl+C to work with the clip under the playhead of the current track if no clip is selected. This makes it behave similar to other editing shortcuts.
- Changed the keyboard modifier for skim to Shift+Alt. This prevents Shift (previous modifier) when selecting multiple clips from changing playhead position.
- NOTE: On macOS, in order to scroll Timeline or Keyframes horizontally with a mouse wheel (not Magic Mouse or track pad), you must also use one of the following:
- Changed the Matrix parameter of the Dither video filter to be a drop-down combo box without keyframes support.
- Changed Alpha operation > Write On Clear to Overwrite on some video filters to make them more clear:
- Mask: Simple Shape
- Chroma Key: Advanced
Download: Shotcut 20.04.12 (32-bit) | Portable | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Shotcut 20.04.12 (64-bit) | Portable
View: Shotcut Home Page | Other Operating Systems
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
0 Comments - Add comment