When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Google renames Android Device Manager as 'Find My Device'

Google's I/O developer conference is taking place this week in Mountain View, California, where the company has made a ton of announcements about its products and services. Among them was the launch of Google Play Protect, which is built into the Play Store, and designed to make Android's security features "more visible" to users.

"One of the biggest security risks you’re likely to face is simply losing your phone," Google said. "To help in these times of need, we’re launching Find My Device as part of Google Play Protect."

This might sound like a completely new service, but in practice, this is really just a rebranding of the existing Android Device Manager (ADM) tools - which Google launched in 2013 - with some refinements. Key features of Find My Device include:

• Locate your phone, tablet or watch. Misplaced your Android Wear device? No problem.
  • Play a sound. Find My Device helps you track down your device when it’s close by.
  • Lock, erase or show a message. With Find My Device you can secure your device remotely and help someone get in touch.

Find My Device is available to download from the Google Play Store; if you already have the Android Device Manager app installed, you should find it renamed as Find My Device the next time you update it.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Panasonic announces rugged Windows 10 detachable, the ToughBook 33, starting at $3,649

Previous Article

Gwent: The Witcher Card Game's open beta commences next week, all progress to be wiped