Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor. It works on GNU/Linux, Windows and BSD. Through the MLT framework, Kdenlive integrates many plugin effects for video and sound processing or creation. Furthermore Kdenlive brings a powerful titling tool, a DVD authoring (menus) solution, and can then be used as a complete studio for video creation.
Kdenlive supports all of the formats supported by FFmpeg or libav (such as QuickTime, AVI, WMV, MPEG, and Flash Video, among others), and also supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios for both PAL, NTSC and various HD standards, including HDV and AVCHD. Video can also be exported to DV devices, or written to a DVD with chapters and a simple menu.
Video editing features:
- Multi-track editing with a timeline and supports an unlimited number of video and audio tracks.
- A built-in title editor and tools to create, move, crop and delete video clips, audio clips, text clips and image clips.
- Ability to add custom effects and transitions.
- A wide range of effects and transitions. Audio signal processing capabilities include normalization, phase and pitch shifting, limiting, volume adjustment, reverb and equalization filters as well as others. Visual effects include options for masking, blue-screen, distortions, rotations, colour tools, blurring, obscuring and others.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts and interface layouts.
- Rendering is done using a separate non-blocking process so it can be stopped, paused and restarted.
- Kdenlive also provides a script called the Kdenlive Builder Wizard (KBW) that compiles the latest developer version of the software and its main dependencies from source, to allow users to try to test new features and report problems on the bug tracker.
- Project files are stored in XML format.
- An archiving feature allows exporting a project among all assets into a single folder or compressed archive.
- Built-in audio mixer
Kdenlive 22.08.0 changelog:
- The 22.08 release brings many user interface improvements and bug fixes for a smooth editing experience. Speaking of smooth, this version comes with many enhancements to the proxy clip generation system, resulting in a smoother interface and support for NVENC and VAAPI proxy clip encoding has been fixed.
- Rendering now supports an experimental Parallel Processing feature for faster render speeds. This version adds support for importing AVIF, HEIF, HEIC and JPEG XL image formats, LOTTIE and RAWR animations, as well as VTT (Web Video Text Tracks) and SBV (YouTube) subtitle files. New features include an improved audio recording experience, global subtitle styling, exporting of guides as chapters for YouTube/PeerTube/Vimeo, and integration with Glaxnimate vector graphics animation program. Colorscopes (Waveform, Vectorscope, and RGB parade) are finally working on Windows. [full release notes]
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware