Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.
- Trimming on source clip player or timeline with ripple option
- Append, insert, overwrite, lift, and ripple delete editing on the timeline
- 3-point editing
- Hide, mute, and lock track controls
- Multitrack timeline with thumbnails and waveforms
- Unlimited undo and redo for playlist edits including a history view
- Create, play, edit, save, load, encode, and stream MLT XML projects (with auto-save)
- Save and load trimmed clip as MLT XML file
- Load and play complex MLT XML file as a clip
- Drag-n-drop files from file manager
- Scrubbing and transport control
- Video compositing across video tracks
- HTML5 (sans audio and video) as video source and filters
- 3-way (shadows, mids, highlights) color wheels for color correction and grading
- Eye dropper tool to pick neutral color for white balancing
- Fade in/out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
- Video wipe transitions:
- bar, barn door, box, clock (radial), diagonal, iris, matrix, and custom gradient image
- Track compositing/blending modes:
- Over, Add, Saturate, Multiply, Screen, Overlay, Darken, Dodge, Burn, Hard Light, Soft Light, Difference, Exclusion, HSL Hue, HSL Saturation, HSL Color, HSL Luminosity.
- Video Filters:
- Alpha Channel: Adjust, Alpha Channel: View, Blur, Brightness, Chroma Key: Advanced, Chroma Key: Simple, Contrast, Color Grading, Crop, Diffusion, Glow, Invert Colors, Key Spill: Advanced, Key Spill: Simple, Mirror, Old Film: Dust, Old Film: Grain, Old Film: Projector, Old Film: Scratches, Old Film: Technocolor, Opacity, Rotate, Rutt-Etra-Izer, Saturation, Sepia Tone, Sharpen, Size and Position, Stabilize, Text, Vignette, Wave, White Balance
- Speed effect for audio/video clips
- Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
- Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture to system audio card
- Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
- Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
- DeckLink SDI keyer output
- OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component
Shotcut 18.10.08 new features:
- Added support for Intel Quick Sync Video hardware-accelerated video encoders to the Windows build (in Export > Codec choose h264_qsv or hevc_qsv).
- Added Grid and Safe Area overlays with a toggle/menu button to the player.
- Added snapping to the grid and safe areas for the VUI rectangle control as used by Text, Size and Position, and more filters.
- Added Open Other to the main toolbar with a drop-down menu.
- Added the ability to drag-n-drop folders from a file manager into Shotcut.
- Added the ability to supply multiple file and folder name arguments to the shotcut command line executable.
- Added the ability to make a temporary Custom Video Mode (leave Name blank).
- Added Settings > Video Mode > Custom > Remove....
- Added View > Layout > Remove....
- Added Settings > Clear Recent on Exit checkbox to prevent saving data on a shared computer account.
- Added command line option --clear-recent to enable Clear Recent on Exit and hide that option in the Settings menu.
- Added a dialog when you click to check for an update that asks if you want to check for update automatically (at startup only) with the option to suppress the dialog indefinitely.
- Fixed audio preview distortion on Windows (regression in v18.09).
- Fixed some AAC MP4 files start in the middle.
- Fixed un-mute a track may not draw its waveforms.
- Fixed whitespace in Text filter removed in Export.
- Fixed crash adding clip to Timeline after removing all tracks.
- Fixed simple keyframes go missing or not all the way to 00:00.
- Fixed switching from simple to advanced keyframes in Text, Rotate and Scale, Timer, and Size and Position filters.
- Fixed a possible crash when adding a transition by trimming.
- Fixed crash on macOS after the app restarts itself when some Settings are changed.
- Fixed moving a clip to the left where the right edge is not a blank.
- Fixed some Timeline actions do not work correctly after a Ripple move.
- Fixed undo/redo form trim-to-transition over a blank/gap.
- Fixed Ripple moving a clip to the end of a track was not extending the hidden black background.
- Hide the Text generator if Settings > GPU Effects is on (incompatible).
- Fixed the Rotate and Scale filter preset not saving keyframes for the Scale parameter.
- Fixed a crash opening multiple files at once either through File > Open or drag-n-drop from a file manager.
- Fixed a crash closing a playlist-only project with Automatic Video Mode.
- Fixed changing position or removing advanced keyframes for the Scale parameter of the Rotate and Scalefilter distorting the aspect ratio of the image.
- Fixed Timeline > Split not working if the current track is empty. (It should split the topmost clip under the playhead.)
- Fixed clicking the reset button of the Center checkbox of the Crop filter does not re-enable the other controls.
- Fixed the Timeline and Keyframes timeline rulers are incorrect after changing Settings > Video Mode.
- Fixed a crash when the project frame rate is very low (
- Fixed a crash when switching keyframes on and off for position and size parameters in video filter such as Size and Position, Text, and Timer.
- Fixed trimming multiple track filters hides them.
- Fixed making a Text preset does not save the text (only all other parameters).
Changes and Improvements:
- Changed resolution restriction from a multiple of 8 to a multiple of 2.
- Improved the layout of the filter chooser in Filters.
- Changed Timeline fade controls to behave the same as Keyframes simple keyframes.
- Changed the Noise generator from opening as a live source to a clip with a duration.
- Changed drag-n-drop to Playlist to not automatically open the first file unless the project is empty.
- Changed the Rotation parameter of the Mask filter to use degrees, and fixed its reset button.
- Added more library dependencies to the Linux portable tar, AppImage, and snap builds including the SWH LADSPA plugins.
Download: Shotcut 18.10.08 (32-bit) | Portable | ~100.0 MB (Open Source)
Download: Shotcut 18.10.08 (64-bit) | Portable | ~200.0 MB
View: Shotcut Home Page | Other Operating Systems
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware
0 Comments - Add comment