Audacity is a free, open source digital audio editor and recording application. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. The program also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications. Built-in effects include bass boost, wah wah, and noise removal, and the program also supports VST plug-in effects.
You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with Nyquist.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Audacity 3.1.3 is a patch release. It improves the following aspects:
- Improved performance. Loading in projects especially should now be up to 50x faster compared to 3.1.0. #2121 #2087 #2065 #2267
- Added snap guides when resizing clips #2066
- Added new shortcuts for looping: Shift+L for "Set Loop to Selection", Shift+Alt+L for "Clear Looping Region" #2209
- Added a new selection region indicator in the timeline (identical in function as the one found pre-3.1, but with updated visuals) #2067
- Changed error messages to look less like a crash report #2178
- Re-added the Quick Play indicator (green triangle and line) that got lost during 3.1.0 development #2122
- Fixed Play-at-speed not updating the playback speed dynamically #2149
- Fixed looping regions being created unintentionally when attempting to use Timeline Quick Play #2182
- Fixed looping sometimes playing the wrong audio #2103
- Fixed a bug that could cause data-loss when joining multiple clips #2226
- Fixed scrub preview visibility #2294
- Fixed a bug when trying to locate FFMPEG manually #2282
- Fixed a glitch with Loop Playback #2314
- Fixed a crash and a macOS-specific bug when renaming sync-locked clips using a dialog box. #2199, #2198
- Fixed a crash when releasing a clip handle #2147
- Fixed a freeze when closing Audacity with the logging window open #2114
- Fixed a crash when loading a saved project using certain compilers #2216
- Fixed a crash on paste after running macros #2021
- Fixed a crash when cancelling a nyquist prompt #2239
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware