DICE managed to push out almost three full expansions for its World War 1 shooter Battlefield 1 last year. Almost, because the third expansion, Turning Tides, was split into two parts, the first half arriving in December, with the second slated to come sometime before the end of January.
Thankfully, fans won't have to wait long for the fourth and final expansion, as the developer announced today that Apocalypse is scheduled to land this February to Premium Pass owners, inviting players to "participate in the most brutal battles of the cataclysmic great war."
The expansion brings along five new maps in total, three of them are standard ones:
- Passchendaele – Once the quiet countryside of Belgium, now a nightmarish landscape of blood and mud. Claw your way across the devastated landscape and huddle for cover in dugouts and tattered ruins.
- Caporetto – Fight in mountain trenches near the Isonzo River as the Austro-Hungarians face off with the Italian army in an uphill climb.
- River Somme – The scenic wheat fields by the Somme river transform into hell on earth from devastating artillery barrages.
Meanwhile, the remaining two maps are for the aircraft exclusive Air Assault dogfighting game mode that is also arriving with the expansion:
- Razor’s Edge – Engage in frantic dogfights among snowy peaks, as British and German aces fight for control on this intense map.
- London Calling – With your fellow knights of the sky, join the aerial clashes high above the British capital in the new Air Assault game mode.
With the new locations where players can battle each other out of the way, let's move on to the new tools that DICE is providing to spice up the gameplay. These include new aircrafts, six new guns, new melee weapons such as meat cleavers, new gadgets like the anti-air rocket gun, and even a stationary toxic gas launcher.
For players who are looking for a more challenging experience in multiplayer, or just bragging rights, a new specialization type is also incoming. Named Afflictions, these give players the opportunity to impair their soldier. As an example, selecting 'Paranoia' as an affliction will make players spawn with a permanently attached gas mask, reducing their field of vision and disabling the ability to aim down sights.
New assignments and the usual array of new unlocks will be included in the expansion as well. We can expect DICE to go into more detail on all the upcoming content when the expansion is closer to its launch.
DICE did not say exactly when in February will Apocalypse will drop, but as always, Premium Pass owners will get access two weeks earlier than anyone who purchases the expansion separately.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter @NeowinGaming to keep up to date with our gaming coverage!