Last month, HP told Neowin that it would begin taking orders for the Elite x3, its new Windows 10 Mobile flagship, in the US on September 5. Today, as promised, HP.com opened pre-orders for the device, priced at $799. That price includes the Desk Dock accessory, to enable the use of a mouse and keyboard with the handset when connected to a larger display.
Curiously, earlier today, the Microsoft Store pushed back its US shipments of the Elite x3 by two weeks. The company had previously said that the device would be available on September 12, but it now gives a release date of September 26.
Those who pre-order from HP.com won't have to face such a long wait. HP says that the handset and dock accessory will both begin shipping by September 7.
HP is also offering two further deals with the device, although in doing so, it refers to the handset as a PC. This may be a reference to HP's decision to position the Elite x3 as a "3-in-1 device that combines PC power and productivity with premium smartphone capabilities". Those who buy the handset from HP.com can also get:
- Free shipping & free returns
- Up to $40 off select Bose speakers with purchase of this PC
- Get the HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One for only $29.99 with the purchase of any PC!
The Elite x3's key specs include:
- 5.96-inch AMOLED with Quad HD (2560x1440px) resolution, Corning Gorilla Glass 4, and anti-reflective coating
- Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 SoC
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB onboard storage (plus microSD card support)
- 16MP rear camera
- 8MP front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- Bluetooth 4.0
- NFC support
- 4G LTE connectivity
- Optional dual-SIM support
- USB 3.0 port with Type-C connector
- Iris scanner
- Fingerprint scanner
- IP67 rating for dust- and water-resistance
- MIL-STD-810G rating, assuring device protection for drops from up to 1 meter
- Pogo pins
- Qi wireless charging
- 4150mAh battery
- 161.8 x 83.5 x 7.8mm; 194g