BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean 90 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
BleachBit has many useful features:
- Simple operation: read the descriptions, check the boxes you want, click preview, and click delete.
- Multi-platform: Linux and Windows
- Free of charge
- Free to share, learn, and modify (open source)
- Free of adware, spyware, and malware
- Translated to 52 languages
- Shred files to hide their contents and prevent data recovery
- Shred any file (such as a spreadsheet on your desktop)
- Overwrite free disk space to hide previously deleted files
- Portable app for Windows: run without installation
- Command line interface for scripting and automation
- CleanerML allows anyone to write a new cleaner using XML
- Automatically import and update winapp2.ini cleaner files (a separate download) giving Windows users access to 500+ additional cleaners
- Frequent software updates with new features and more...
BleachBit 1.6 changelog:
Google Chrome: fix error "Favicons is version 29"
Google Chrome: clean application cache directory.
Google Chrome and Chromium: in the Preferences (JSON) file clean a list of HTTP servers that used SPDY, which can be used to track servers to which the browser was connected
Firefox: clean more session restore files
Firefox: clean bookmark backups using a new option called Backup.
The auto-hide option, which was removed in version 1.0, is available again.
Specific to Windows
Google Chrome: clean GPUCache directory
Show BleachBit version in the Control Panel in Add/Remove Programs
Support silent installation when previous version is already installed
Fix a crash on startup if a fixed drive would not report its free space. This may happen with Microsoft Office 2012 Click and Run.
Fix a crash on startup if %USERPROFILE\Local Settings\temp\ does not exist.
Specific to Linux / Unix
Google Chrome: delete Sync Data Backup
Chromium: delete application cache directory
Print a message when root account is being cleaned to avoid confusion
Whitelist more KDE IPC files under /tmp/ to fix problem launching BleachBit as root