Wireshark is a network packet analyzer. A network packet analyzer will try to capture network packets and tries to display that packet data as detailed as possible. You could think of a network packet analyzer as a measuring device used to examine what's going on inside a network cable, just like a voltmeter is used by an electrician to examine what's going on inside an electric cable (but at a higher level, of course). In the past, such tools were either very expensive, proprietary, or both. However, with the advent of Wireshark, all that has changed. Wireshark is perhaps one of the best open source packet analyzers available today.
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platfrom)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
Wireshark 4.0.8 changelog:
The following vulnerabilities have been fixed:
wnpa-sec-2023-23 CBOR dissector crash. Issue 19144.
wnpa-sec-2023-24 BT SDP dissector infinite loop. Issue 19258.
wnpa-sec-2023-25 BT SDP dissector memory leak. Issue 19259.
wnpa-sec-2023-26 CP2179 dissector crash. Issue 19229.
The following bugs have been fixed:
- TShark cannot capture to pipe on Windows correctly. Issue 17900.
- Wireshark wrongly blames group membership when pcap capabilities are removed. Issue 18279.
- Packet bytes window broken layout. Issue 18326.
- RTP Player only shows waveform until sequence rollover. Issue 18829.
- Valid Ethernet CFM DMM packets are shown as malformed. Issue 19198.
- Crash on DICOM Export Objects window close. Issue 19207.
- The QUIC dissector is reporting the quic_transport_parameters max_ack_delay with the title \"GREASE\" Issue 19209.
- Preferences: Folder name editing behaves weirdly, cursor jumps. Issue 19213.
- DHCPFO: Expert info list does not show all expert infos. Issue 19216.
- Websocket packets not decoded and displayed for Field type=Custom and Field name websocket.payload.text. Issue 19220.
- Cannot read pcapng file captured on OpenBSD and read on FreeBSD. Issue 19230.
- UI: While capturing the Wireshark icon changes from green to blue when new file is created. Issue 19252.
- Conversation: heap-use-after-free after wmem_leave_file_scope. Issue 19265.
- IP Packets with DSCP 44 does not indicate "Voice-Admit" Issue 19270.
- NAS 5GS Malformed Packet Decoding SOR transparent container PLMN ID and access technology list. Issue 19273.
- UI: Auto scroll button in the toolbar is turned on when manually scrolling to the end of packet list. Issue 19274.
Updated Protocol Support
- BT SDP, CBOR, CFM, CP2179, CQL, DHCPFO, DICOM, F1AP, GSM DTAP, IEEE 802.11, IPv4, NAS-5GS, PFCP, PKT CCC, QUIC, RTP, TFTP, WebSocket, and XnAP
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware