Apple has updated its App Store policies to allow users to tip developers through an in-app purchase. The setup will see Apple take a 30% slice of the tip leaving the developers with 70%. The change is just part of a slew of changes that are being introduced by the company to its app store.
The policy change by Apple reads:
“If you want to unlock features of functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may use in-app purchase currencies to enable customers to “tip” digital content providers in the app. Apps may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customer to purchasing mechanisms other than IAP.”
Apple had previously clamped down on developers trying to raise extra income through implementing their own methods of receiving tip payments.
Another big change for developers to take note of is that the length allowed for app names has been shortened from 50 to 30 characters. Devs can now instead supplement their app name with a subtitle to give more explanation of the app. Apple has tightened control over the rating system too, forcing developers to use Apple’s API to get ratings. The last change worth noting is that screenshots can now include text overlays.
54 Comments - Add comment